Quantcast

Big Green Split!

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

dnjan

alveopora
My Giant Green Metallic Mushroom (Rhodactis sp.) split this month.

Of course, he (they) are at the corner of the tank, so I have included a picture from each side.
Before splitting, he would generally spread to about 10" across during the day. Now each new one is about half that size (so far).

The rock they are both on would be impossible to remove, so I am looking for ideas how to remove the left one. The "parent" didn't move much in the past almost 4 years, so I don't have much hope for getting the left one to walk to a different piece of rock. Any guesses on whether or not ice on the foot would help? Other ideas?

wrassehole

wannabe reefmaster
ive moved several shrooms by rolling them off the rock, they peel off nicely IMO. just be gentle to coax him off rather than ripping. i peeled by forcing(gentle) my finger nail between the foot and the rock. they just give up on the grip. the problem is finding a new location with low current so it doesnt blow around the tank to re attach the foot.
congrats on the splitting.

wrightme43

Wrassehole is right on. I have done the fingernail thing, and the violent scraping with a razor blade. both work. You can also cut on into 4 pieces with a razor and it will grow back most of the time. Also you can use maybe use side cutters to chop of a chunk of rock and move it and the piece of rock.

wrassehole

wannabe reefmaster
air chisel, steve you crack me up. I would recommend an electic chisel for the maximum effect. make sure your standing barfeet in a five gallon pail of water. tinfoil hat as well.

dnjan

alveopora
The foot is covering about 3 square inches. That is a lot of rolling! I'll see if I can reach my hand far enough into the tank ...

wrightme43

Wrassehole Your killing me man, I am still laughing and I read it on my e-mail. The tin foil hat that got to be the way to go. Like he said just work up a little bit and it gets easy. If you do tear it, nine times out of ten it just grows a new mushroom there anyway. And you will probley get a lot of little one by moving it because the little pieces of pedal disc that came of while it was splitting will grow into new as well. JMHO. Steve

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts