Quantcast

Blue sponge Id help please

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

The Apprentice

I have a Blue sponge in my tank has been doing ok now for about 3 weeks i was hoping some one could help Id this type of sponge for me thanks,

NaH2O

There are so many types of sponges. I did a little searching and here is what I came up with....may not be yours, but I think it looks similar. Check it out:

Haliclona sp?

med902

My poor blue sponge

Help, my blue sponge coral is dieing. It is from hawaii. It is turning white. Is there any saving what's left?

lizardarm

Reptilian Disco Biscuit
between a rock and a hard place: (Bremerton, WA)
med902,
i have heard that these blue sponges are alot more fragile than their orange counterpaarts. not to mention much more expensive. they are really hit-or-miss and should only be purchased from a store if they have been there for at least a week or so, as if they are going to go down hill in captivity, they tend to do so pretty quickly.
sorry i cant be of more use, but that's what i know

NaH2O

Nice post lizardarm. med - Welcome to Reef Frontiers! (in case I missed ya before). How long have you had the sponge, & how was it acclimated?

lizardarm

Reptilian Disco Biscuit
between a rock and a hard place: (Bremerton, WA)
i have had mine (the second one i've purchased) for about eight months. seems to be doing fine. as far as acclimation, i didn't do anything special, just real slow water transfer in a bucket (carefull not to let it touch the air) and eventually into my tank. the water transfer took a couple of hours.
at that time i was in a smaller tank (46 gallon) that had only 120 watts NO flourescent, and that seemed to be fine. when i moved into the current tank (72 gallon) i had pretty much kept all my sponges in the dark under ledges in the rock as i went to 692 watts MH/PC lighting. slowly moved them out and now they're all in the open, toward the bottom of the tank, and apparently doing fine.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.