Quantcast

Blueberry Gorgonian? Anyone ever heard of it?

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

MzWeazelle

Just drooled all over my LFS and pointed at an interesting item and was told it is a "blueberry gorgonian". Anyone ever heard of one? Was also told that, though they are fairly rare - and therefore fairly expensive, they are not terribly difficult to keep.

Any info welcome. :confused:

reefsupply

From what I remember Most Pacific gorgonians are Aposymbiotic, I am guessing it is a pacific or a red sea because if my failing memories serves me right we had one a few years back, I think it came from an Indo/pacific shipment. Go back and take a look at it and see it the stem is white in color. If it is then it will require frequent feedings, if it is brownish then it has Zooxanthelle and will need stronger lighting requirements. If I remember correctly most pacific gorgonians are a pain to keep and are not well suited for the trade. That’s why we stay away from the pacific variety just because of the higher requirements and the larger mortality rate. Remember I might be wrong because I know I am forgetting something. It’s been a few years.

MzWeazelle

I believe the stem was brownish in color, and the LFS said it was one of the more photosynthetic types but did require some feeding. It was still acclimating so I'm sure final appearance is hard to predict, but what struck me was the little blue balls all over it, hence the name blueberry gorgonian?

We've been thinking about branching out into new areas and a "relatively easy" gorgonian sounds neat. :)

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.