Quantcast

Brine

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

DonW

R.I.P.
I've fed live brine for a long time as a fish only tank, should I continue this practice after converting to a reef.

Don

G~

Super Gobie
do you use selcon in with the shrimp before you feed them to the fish? BS are not the most nutritious critters for your fish or corals. i would switch to blender mush in either case.

G~

OnTheReef

Brine shrimp

Brine shrimp can be nutritous under two conditions:
1) When they are less then four days old and still have the yolk sac.
2) When they have been gut loaded with something nutritous, such as phytoplankton or rotifers.
Aquarium Concepts sells frozen baby brine shrimp gut loaded with spirulina. It's now the favorite food of my fishes. I imagine you could do this on your own if you grow some green water and let your brine shrimp feed on it right before offering them to your fish. There is more motivation to do this with difficult species such as butterfly and angel fishes, which prefer live food. However, my Keyhole Angel has learned to accept offered foods by watching the other fish in my tank and it's really great not to have to worry about him starving now.

DonW

R.I.P.
feeding

Ive always just hatched, rinsed and fed to the fish. I started doing this for a seahorse but gave up on seahorses. I dont feed just brine, I buy assorted frozen foods mix them up and refreeze flat.
What is a good recipe for blender mush for a reef.
Ive read alot about feeding, Most articles contradict what the previous article stated so I'm a bit confused.

Don

OnTheReef

Re: feeding regimen

I feed my fishes the widest variety of whatever they will take: Mysis shrimp, plankton, flake food, krill, frozen baby brine shrimp, Formula One, Formula Two and Julian Sprung's Sea Veggies. However, some of my charges are pickier and will only eat things which are growing on my reef or have the appearance of a whole organism in the water. Most good aquarium references, such as "The Reef Aquarium: From Beginner to Breeder" have good recipes for sea-food mash, as will back issues of "Reefkeeping." Also, if you do a search here, there was a thread on this topic not too long ago. Again, if you comb the good aquarium books, especially those on raising juvenile fishes or invertebrates, you will see numerous mention of brine shrimp more than four days old not being very nutritious, at least in the relatively bare medium most aquarists raise them in.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts