Quantcast

Broken RO/DI unit

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

j.stagner

Seeker of knowledge
Posted something similar elsewhere, but I would like to add that I will purchase locally if the prices are good.

Sigh. Over Christmas during the frenzy of making the house presentable for friends and family (my girlfriend made me clean up the fish stuff), I placed my Kent Marine Deluxe Hi-S Maxxima 60 GPD RODI system on the back porch until I could figure out a better place to put it.

Well, naturally I forgot all about it, and since Christmas we've had freezing temperatures. Yup, you guessed it, the frozen water inside cracked on of the containers and ruined another. Another $300 down the drain. I could cry. I still might.

I would like to buy replacement parts, but I'm not sure that would fix the problem as the damage is pretty extensive. I absolutely loved this unit, and strongly believe that it has been a tremendous asset to my small reef tank. I have never had to battle any kind of algae problems other than the initial diatom bloom, and even that was pretty short lived. Two years later there is still absolutely no sign of any problem algae anywhere in my tank, although the coralline grows like mad.

Needless to say, I need to replace this unit. I believe that RO/DI water is absolutely essential. Among the things I liked are :

1. Four-stage unit.

2. High silicate removal.

3. Pressure guage. Not sure if this was useful or not, but I liked it anywayz.

4. TDS meter. This is salvageable, so is not a requirement on any replacement unit.

I may just replace it with another of the same type, but quite frankly I don't feel that I researched them well enough, and I have read quite a few positive things about other systems although I didn't pay much attention to the info because I already had my system.

Please tell me your experiences with RO/DI systems at or around the $300 range.

DonW

R.I.P.
I bought a replacement canister from Home Depot. You may want to check and see if they are the same.

Don

j.stagner

Seeker of knowledge
Part of the problem I'm having is that on the second canister, rather than the canister breaking, it broke the area where the canister threads onto the rest of the system. Since these things are under pressure, I'm not confident that I can repair that.

I did look at the ones a Lowes yesterday, and they do look pretty much the same. I will break the entire thing down today so that I can fully assess the damage.

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
the whole filter housing including cap should be around 20 buck J. let me know if you cant find them and I can get a link for ya

Mike

j.stagner

Seeker of knowledge
So here is an approximate price list to rebuild the thing, which is so far cheaper than any unit I've seen that is comparable to what I had. I will have to replace all of the filters, since I don't think they will still work after having been frozen. Fortunately for me, I already have a RO membrane.

Sediment filter - $4.95
Carbon Prefilter - $15.95
RO Membrane - $84.00
DI Cartridge - $29.95
Filter Housing - $20.00
Total - $154.85

MojoReef, I was not able to find a filter housing, will you please provide the link you mentioned?

Thanks.

DonW

R.I.P.
Are the filters at Lowes and Home depot the same as the LFS? I just looked at HD You can build a 3 stage ro unit for about $80. I would fix the one you have but it would probably work for someone on a budget.

Don

j.stagner

Seeker of knowledge
You know, I looked at those, and thought very seriously about it. My final decision was based on the fact that I just wasn't able to get enough information about final water quality and rejection rates on those systems, whereas the manufacturers of systems sold for the aquarium industry typically publish large tables describing all sorts of interesting data. Maybe I just fall for marketing easily, but it has often been my experience that in this hobby inexpensive or cheap equipment is not always your friend.

j.stagner

Seeker of knowledge
Wow, that rocks. They have everything. Proof that advertising on PSAS works! I had never heard of ARS before I started using this board.....

Thanks.

j.stagner

Seeker of knowledge
Question... Having looked at the price to rebuild my current unit, and the price of a full 100GPD Oceanus system from ARS, I am seriously considering just getting the Oceanus.

Anybody else have experience with it? I suspect that I can use any replacement parts from other systems, like a 1 micron dual density gradient sediment filter and a 0.5 micron carbon block (Oceanus uses 1 micron), is this true? If so, I think I am sold.

I am really glad I posted about this.

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
LOL I knew that was going to be the next thing we heard from you,hehe. I have had one for about five years and have no problem with it. the parts are interchangable. Make sure you dont get the clear RO houseing though, go with the standard white one.

take care and i am glad it worked out for ya.

Mike

j.stagner

Seeker of knowledge
Mojo, does that mean that this is the system you are using on that fabulous "Tank of the Month" I've been drooling over? Man, I am ordering right now!

Lol, thanks for the input.

j.stagner

Seeker of knowledge
I ordered the unit, am waiting anxiously. There didn't seem to be a way to specify the non-clear RO housing, and the ordering system needs work, some of it was broken.

Got the self-piercing saddle valve, anybody use one of these? Decided to go ahead and get the flush kit this time. Also, when you order a RO/DI system they give you close to half price on the TDS meter, so I went ahead and got that, too. My previous one is the old pass/fail kind, doesn't tell you an actual value like this one does.

I am excited, can't wait till it gets here!

j.stagner

Seeker of knowledge
Actually, since this happened I have decided to mount the darn thing in the laundry room. I've got the plumbing already set up, as well as where I will mount it. This will work out quite nicely, since now the unit will be out of the way yet more easily accessible, and I will have more room and shelves to work with.

Yeah, the end result is pretty nice. Not happy about the wasted money, but I guess any crisis can be an opportunity.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.