Quantcast

Ca & Alk of Reef Crystals

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

dwall174

Has anyone tested the Ca & Alk of IO Reef Crystals when mixed to a SG of 1.026? I recently switched to Reef Crystals instead of regular IO & I mixed up 20 gallons of RO/DI water last night for a water change.

I just got some new Salifert test kits so I figured I would check to see what the Ca & Alk was of the freshly mixed Reef Crystals! To my surprise the Ca was almost 500 & the Alk is 4.69 meq/l does this sound right? With my old SeaChem test kits & regular IO I usually got around 340 Ca & Alk was usually around 3.5 meq/l?

BTW the PH is 8.2 & temp is 78 degrees!

dwall174

I knew that the Reef Crystals were claimed to have more Ca & other ingredients than regular IO! However I had never really checked it before!:eek2:
I usually do a 15% water change every ten days or so which is the time it takes before I need to refill my top-off tank. I also use B-Ionic 2-Part daily & I drip Kalk 24/7 to help maintain my Ca & Alk levels. Since I have been using the Reef Crystals I have noticed that I needed to lower my drip rate & reduce the B-Ionic amount. So I guess it's helping in the long run.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts