Quantcast

Cal and alk

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

BCT182

So I switched back to dripping Kalk again after my horrible overdose a few months ago and ....
Cal- 450
alk dKH- 15.40

According to Cesars chart, I have an imbalance and are both high, how high are they and what can I do to balance them out as well as lower them if its necessary?
Brett

Elmo18

Clownfish
Hi Brett.

You can do a couple of things, and yes those are both on the high side.

You can do a water change to lower them both. or you can wait, and not dose anything. Top off your water with RO/DI water only without kalk. They will both lower themselves.

I prefer doing the water change if you need to do that anyway.

- Elmo

Elmo18

Clownfish
I would measure each day , both calcium and alk. Don't dose Kalk until the levels are where you want them at.

I tend to keep mine around 380-400 for calc and 10 for dkh

- Elmo

wrightme43

check out a search for toecutters reef chemistry. It has a neat chart, and it has links from boomer to what to do. I would link it but I dont know how. (sooner or later someone will tell me how to do it.) lol. Once you get it back down start using less kalk, like if you had been using 2 teaspoons a day, try one every other day and rodi plain on the other days. HTH Steve

DonW

R.I.P.
I would just let things fall. Once you get it down and in balance start using kalk again. Start slow monitoring every few days. You may find your system does not use ca and alk equally. For example I have to dose only alk to my system. The reactor handles the calcium and most of the alk. Just go slow and chart it out on paper. Youll see how easy it really is to keep thing in check.

Don

Elmo18

Clownfish
Instant Ocean is also what I use Brett. According to my tests, IO in this batch im using measure CA at 360 and Alk at 9-10

- Elmo

Elmo18

Clownfish
I add calcium to IO, but since yours is high, a water change with Instant Ocean will help lower both Ca and Alk.

- Elmo

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts