Quantcast

Calcium Chloride

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

forsaken541

I found Balls Pickle crisp at Walmart. Is this the same thing as Pickling lime? It says the only ingredient is Calcium Chloride. is this the Balls Pickling lime that I have heard others use?
Thanks,
Erik :?:

Llarian

Good question, I'm researching that now. One thing I found interesting is that according to some things I've seeing, the Ca(OH)2 reacts with the vegetables in pickling, whereas the CaCl reacts with the brine. There is apparently a fairly noticable reaction upon adding CaCl to a briney solution.

I can't image that would be good in a reef.

-Dylan

Llarian

I stand corrected, it appears some people use CaCl2 (I always get the number of ions wrong) in conjuction with CaOH2.

I'd do some more research as to what the effects are overall though.

Llarian

Oh, duh.

Calcium Hydroxide is a "balanced" additive. So it'll increase Calcium level and Alk.
Calcium Chloride is the calcium component of most of the unbalanced additives. You could achieve the same net effect by adding Calcium Chloride and Sodium Bicarbonate, but you'll have to monitor things and adjust the levels of the two independently.

-Dylan

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts