Calcium Oxide

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

DonW

R.I.P.
mojoreef said:
My kalk is calcium oxide

MIke

Mike,
I assume you using the Warner marine stuff kalk-plus. How does it compare to their regular kalk? Does it disolve better or make less mess?

Don

DonW

R.I.P.
gobie said:
all kalk is kalk the warner marine my have stontium or more of another by product.

Regular kalk is calcium hydroxide and WM-plus is calcium oxide. CA oxide is supposed to be less reactive when exposed to carbon dioxide. My understanding is that in the long run you may get less build up on pumps and heaters. A plus in my opinion, if this is actually the case.

Don

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
all kalk is kalk the warner marine my have stontium or more of another by product.
Nope

Mike,
I assume you using the Warner marine stuff kalk-plus. How does it compare to their regular kalk? Does it disolve better or make less mess?
Don I am not sure how it lines up with the regular Kalk. Since its oxide it makes for a more concintrated mix and it analytical grade. As per disolving I cant really tell ya as I just dump a bunch into the drum and leave it, what ever doesnt mix in one batch usually does in the next batch.

Mike

DonW

R.I.P.
Thanks Mike,

I've got 2lbs of this stuff supposed to be 99.96% pure. Was just waiting on some feedback before I started using it.

Don

NaH2O

Don - my experience with the WM Kalk plus - it dissolved very well. There was some settling at the bottom of the gallon jug. No film or anything on the surface. Hope this helps.

Boomer

RF Staff
The only difference between Calcium Oxide and Calcium Hydroxide is that the Oxide form quickly reacts with water and yields Calcium Hydroxide. This reaction just generates more heat making the water warmer, thus warmer water has less CO2. What ever the case may be you more or less end up with the same results.

CaO + H20 ---> heat + Ca (OH)2

Quicklime + water ---> warm water + Lime

You still end up with Ca(OH)2 disassociating in water and yielding

Ca(OH)2 ---> Ca++ + 2OH

then

OH- + CO2--> HCO3-

and or

OH- + HCO3- --> CO3-- + H2O

Most people just use Mississippi Quicklime :D

http://www.mississippilime.com/

Last edited:
Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts