Quantcast

calcium reactor help

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

Zack

Enjoy the reef!
Hello
I have a 50 gallon reef now with a 400 watt MH radium and a 15 gallon fuge. My tank isa bout 2 years old now and has about 10 corals and 6 clams. I have become literaly addicted to clams!

I am set on the idea of an ALL clam tank. Right now i use a 5 gallon aquadose with kalk to keep my calicum level about 425-450 and if needed reef advantage to raise calicum. I would like to start with the selling of my corals so that i am just down to my LR and clams. From there i would like to go to an all clam tank, with diffrent kinds of clams.

So what i really need help with for my last couple steps is buying a reactor which i have no idea what would be good for my 50???? Also the big thing is installing it!!!!!! I have never installed something like that. So I know you have helped out many people before and if u could just maybe give e a name of a reactor u like for my 50 that would be great and also is it safe to drip from the reactor right into the fuge?

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
OK Zack lets see what we can do. First on the clams. Remember that calcium is NOT the only thing a clam requires in order to grow (even in regardfs to its shell) you will need to make sure that it gets a Nitrogenious source. They use that for tissue growth and shell building.

OK onto the question. Its tought to pick a brand, they are all pretty simple devices. But if I had to for a tank like your s I would say a koralith. They are a little pricy but on all the tests I did with various units this one put out the best effluent. I will post a pic of one for u below. On the installation its real simple, one tub in one tube out. The hard part comes with dialing it in to your particular tank. But thats not really something I can explain to you now. I can explain it to ya and walk you through it when you have it up. Its a lot simpler that way as you have to test the effluent as you dial it in. here is a picture.

Zack

Enjoy the reef!
Hey thanks for the idea, do you think building one would be eaiser? My next question is really rockwork, right now i have the basic rock strutcher for a reef, I was thinking for the clams a flater area would be good, many holes and places to place the clams?

Zack

Enjoy the reef!
also after doing a search i have only forund koralith media not the reactor. Is that the brand of reactor as well?

MtnDewMan

Korallin is the reactor for sure ... I use one on my setup ...

You can find the reactor at http://www.marine-monsters.com/

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
Chuck I didnt know you had one, how do you like it???

Zack on the rockwork you have to remember some clams like being in and on the rock some like the sand.

Mike

Zack

Enjoy the reef!
yea I see that, thinking i would stay away from the ones that get super huge like the squamosas

Zack

Enjoy the reef!
I was talking to some other clam people like Barry from clams direct and he brought the idea that i could just keep using my aqua dose for kalk. Do you think by dripping kalk i could maintain the levels? I don't mind the extra work of mixing and such as i know the reactor elimates.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.