Carbon and Suppliments

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

Micro Reefer

I have a 10 gallon reef tank with a Emperor 280 HOB filter. I've heard that the carbon in the cartridge will strip calcium and other suppliments out of the water. Is this true? Is carbon absolutly necessary?

MR

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
Carbon will take some elements out of the water column, along with DOCs and find particulate detritus. I have used Carbon for decades with no problems, but I also only use it for about a week at of every month, or as needed.

Mike

DonW

R.I.P.
mojoreef said:
Carbon will take some elements out of the water column, along with DOCs and find particulate detritus. I have used Carbon for decades with no problems, but I also only use it for about a week at of every month, or as needed.

Mike
Mike when you say "or as needed" how do you determine when its needed. I run it in a seperate container along with rowa, full time flowing at 80 to 100 gph.

Don

MCSInc

Reef Enthusiast
I am also interested in the proper use of carbon.

I do a water change every other weekend. 5 gal change in the 30 and 10 gal change in the 100 gal. On the weekend that I don't do the waterchange I change the carbon out.

Is this a reasonable schedule. Everything looks very happy so I shall keep it up unless there is reason to change. All parameters are in line except that I had the calcium really high for a while. Seperate issue that I created - of course.

Thanks for any input.

DonW

R.I.P.
I've satured the calcium level in my tank also. What adverse affect comes from doing this? Other than turning everything white. Ive noticed its very easy to do with kalkwasser.

Don

MCSInc

Reef Enthusiast
Someone with more info will probably help us but I believe that it is supposed to slow down your coral growth. I lost all but 3 small patches of porites from around my Christmas tree worms for one thing. They went white and were gone.

The other thing is that once calcium gets really high it collects into groups??? like an aggregate? and as your levels go down it breaks back down. The end result being that it takes a very long time to get your levels back down.

OK, now that I have spouted my (lack of) knowledge - can anyone help with a better explaination.

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
Its all good Candy. lets see if I can muddy the water a bit more:lol:

Carbon removes very fine particulate mater and some doc's, it also can absorb an ammont of elements to. You have to look at it like it is a scrubber. In the old days we used to just use it if the water would turn a tny bit yellow. For me, once a month I like to strip my water out, basically clear it of all particulate matter. I use a 5 micron sock for two days then remove it and run carbon for about 3 days more. this clears the water completely. I then turn it off and let the tank run for another month with out interference.

Don calcium inhibits the molecular growth of corals, so having it saturated will stop thier growth. it can also poisen corals to by burning them.

Candy what you are talking about is call percipatates. the calcium will pair with carbonate and percipatate onto a seed surface, its the bacteria that will eventually release the bonds through the use of enzynes.

Hope it helps

Mike

DonW

R.I.P.
mojoreef said:
Don calcium inhibits the molecular growth of corals, so having it saturated will stop thier growth. it can also poisen corals to by burning them.
Mike,

What is the cure for to much calcium. My calcium now is 550. I shut down the reactor and stopped using kalk. I have seen it so high in my old tank I stopped the test at 650.

Don

big t

tankless
Hey Don,

Just try to keep the calcium level at between 400 and 450 ppm. That is ideal, the key is to keep it stable and not flux between 350 and 600 and back, that causes stress.

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
Don I gues you could water change yourself back down to more normal levels. The right level is determined by the salinity you keep your tank at. so if you were at say 1.026 you would around 410ppm calcium 1.023 would be 357.

Mike

DonW

R.I.P.
Thanks Mike and Tom
I had everything perfect on my old tank. I think the mistake I made was the LS I aquired. It clouded the water completely white and precipitated calcium. I had white calcium deposits everywhere for the first week and had to scrape them off. My heater was covered in burned calcium in one day. I'm sure it was even higher. I'm aware of what it should be, I just needed some help getting there.

Thanks
Don

The R/C Man

DonW

If you have completely shut your reactor down for any length of time be sure you clean it out and add new meadia before you restart it. It could wipe out your tank if you don't.......

DonW

R.I.P.
Thanks, I just shut down the co2 and drained. I then turned the pumps only back on to circulate tank water through to keep it from growing funk. Output is just tank water.

Don

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.