Quantcast

Carpet anemone

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

BCT182

Hey everybody, I just got a carpet anemone for free, Its a red bali carpet. Is there any reason not to have one in a reef? Should I be okay? Also, do they reproduce?
Brett

BCT182

Also, when I got him he hadnt even gotten out of the bag from being shipped, in the bag he was maroon, its been about 4 hrs and right now hes fully inflated but pinkish. Is this normal signs of stress?
Brett

BlennyBabe

Rachel
what sort of lights do you have him under? If he was deflated in the bag when he was red i would bet he is pretty pinkinsh under normal conditions. I would try to feed him every day. Place him somewhere where there is a good amount of flow. As long as he is a healthy specimen, he should do well for you. I have never seen a red one, good luck keeping it, im sure it looks amazing.

wrightme43

Mr Sprungs book says, Stichodactyla haddoni sometimes occurs on reefs in deep water, but is more abundant on shallow reef flats or in laggons and among seagrass, with its column buried in fine sand or coral rubble. under his desirable/ undesireable features he says reef safe. harmful to fishes (all anemone are classified this way) harmful to corals. Toxic to people (not all anemone classified this way) Feeding carnivorous, filter feeder. Feed large meaty foods. Photosynthetic. Special considerations. Light, strong water motion. Hardiness in captivity it says poor generally. growth and reproduction reported by budding fission and sexual reproduction. life span months and with care years. Now my opinons Since you are here you obviously care about your critters. I belive you have a very good shot keeping this animal because you are asking questions. Now to plug Mr Sprung. I love his books Invertebrates, a quick reference guide, and Corals (a.q.r.g.) Hook up they are not expensive, and are worth every nickel. It even has a picture of a beautiful orange-red carpet anemone. I hope that is somewhat helpfull to you. Steve

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts