Quantcast

Celebrating year number 2, a few pics and a long post.

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

Desolas

Free Jolly Jenkins.
My 75g tank has been up two years now. I wish I had a camera from the beginning as the changes are really astonishing. It's surprising how much things can change in a year, and at the same time it is surprising how little other things change in the same year.

Overall this year has been good for my tank, like anything it had some ups and downs. The summer brought a bit of death, I lost several clams when the heat shot up into the 90's, and I can no longer keep Xenia or GSP alive in this tank for some reason.

Here are some pics from one year ago today:

∙ This is a pic of my red montipora, the amount it's grown is pretty cool. The fungia on the right as gotten much larger as well, and the clam is one I lost. Above it is a Acropora Chuck (MtDewMan) gave me. It's a fast grower now as well, the gorgonian on the left got sold as it was trying to grow out of the tank at one point (literally.)

My green montipora, which will be soon dominating the whole right side of my tank.

The BTA that is in a perpetual split. It has spawned 6 clones this year. It's actually getting really annoying. It just finished splitting this week and I noticed today it has two feet again and is preparing to split once more.

Whole tank, Jan 03 2002.

Pic of the front left corner featuring my newest fish, the banded goby.

Another pic of the goby, awesome fish. I have two.

This is the other fish, same hole, they are sharing a den for now.

Right side of the tank. Two years ago that leather was the size of a thimble. It was given to me by a guy with the nick of Brown Trout out of Bremerton.

Middle of the tank.

Staghorn acro.

The yellower staghorn acro in the middle does not belong, it was a bit of a tip that fell into the tank while I was fragging a piece of it. The stuff is almost like Xenia.

Same red monti as pictured at the top of the page. Each time I accidentally bump it cleaning the glass I get a new frag.

Green monti now. It's huge.

Green fungia that will need it's own apartment in another 2 years.

Whole tank today.

The BTA today. You can kind of see how it's foot is splitting again.

The left tower at low tide.

Some things I've discovered this year are stability is key over anything else. The water parameters need to be static. Having a calcium reactor has helped me a lot with this. Since I've had mine up this year it has added a lot to the tank. Also temperature has been an important factor, I'm finding everything is happier at a solid 80F. Over the last four years I've messed around a lot with my salinity as well and I'm so far sold on 1.025.

Thanks to all who've helped and I've met over the last year as well. Also thank you to Chuck, I think most of the pics have frags that originally came from his tank. I've bought a ton of corals only to resell them to others when they don't fit "the plan" the freebees are the only ones I've really been happy with. :)

Happy New Year everyone,

Wes

big t

tankless
Wow, your tank has come a long way dude! I love that green cap, I really need to find a frag of that one. I have a big brown one, but would much rather a green one. You know what they say, out w/ the old and in w/ the new!

Tom

reedman

Man! That tank is looking excellent! I had to read your description a couple of times. It doesn't look like a 75 gallon tank. Looks larger.

MtnDewMan

Wes, the tank is looking real good. Wish I could say I still had all of those pieces that you have in your tank, I am glad someone has some of the old tank :)

Keep up the good work !!!

G~

Super Gobie
it is great to see some before and afters!! tank is growing great!!

G~

Desolas

Free Jolly Jenkins.
Thanks everyone.

big t, watch the for sale forum from time to time. I will have some for sale, maybe within the next few months, or for trade.. I have a new plan that I'm working on for the right side of the tank and I can never move anything without some accidental new frags being created.

That green monti was pretty brown when I bought it. Took a chance, and it worked out. My girlfriends reaction was "your going to buy that brown one??" It's nice when a plan comes together.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.