Quantcast

Changing Plumbing

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

Mushroom Boy

I'm moving my tank soon and am considering removing my AmpMaster 3000 driven closed loop, which currently feeds 5 points of return including two 1/2" SeaSwirls. This is on a 100 gallon tank (60x18x20). Here's what I'm considering. I would like to buy 2 Tunze 6060 Streams (each pushing 1600gph). As well, I am considering getting either a 3/4" SeaSwirl or a SCWD to attach to my sump return pump (mag 9.5). I really like the idea of minimizing power consumption. By removing the AM3K and the two 1/2" SeaSwirls, I would be removing ~150 watts from the system. The two Tunze pumps would add 22 watts and the SCWD takes no electricity, or the 3/4" SeaSwirl would add an inconsequential 4 watts, for a total of ~25 watts for the whole circulation of the system.

I'm looking for feedback on a couple of things.

1. SeaSwirl or SCWD for attachment to the Mag 9.5 return pump?
2. Any feedback on the Tunze Stream Pumps? How does their flow pattern compare to standard pumps?

dnjan

alveopora
Even though they are quality products, I really wouldn't consider putting a pump into the tank as being an upgrade. Access to external pumps for maintenence is just so much easier. And if it is easier, you are more likely to do it on a regular basis.

CarlS

I don't know if you've seen this new device. It's a really nice wave maker and it's fairly cheap considering what it gives. This thread explains all the options and stuff you can do to it. It has 1 inlet and there is a 4 out version or an 8 out version. He also has these heads that can rotate 45 degrees or 90 or 180 and they also raise and lower about an inch each time too. Really slick and it only needs one pump and one plug (2 if you include the pump)

I think you should get it just so you can brag about it. Hehe.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=2442678#post2442678

I did a rendering of how the 8-way can be hooked up. There are a lot of elbows but keep in mind only 2 jets go at a time so the reduction to head loss isn't that bad.

Hope that helps.

Oh and there are also videos of it working in that thread too. Just takes a little searching.

CarlS

dnjan

alveopora
Yes, Paul. I nominate you to try that device out for PSAS. Let us know how it works (and how well that synchronus motor is protected from moisture).

Since you will be re-stacking your rockwork anyway, you can build a system of pipes and outlets into the rock supports. No visible powerheads in the tank - just small pipe outlets between the rocks.

CarlS

Here is the price info for that stuff and some links to the videos of the units working. Considering a SeaSwirl is like $150 and Tunze are rather pricey too, these prices are pretty reasonable.

Did anyone notice Salsaking wanting to order 2 8-ways for his big tank?

The prices are as follows..
8 way $379.00 us
4 way $199.00 us
revolution 1/2 29.00us larger sizes available soon

http://www.oceansmotions.com/paul/video/1000 gph.wmv

http://www.oceansmotions.com/paul/video/revolution.wmv

Hope this doesn't conflict with the whole sponsors/advertising issues with posting.

Carl

Mushroom Boy

Man, that really throws a kink in the works :D. Back to the drawing board. I may have to consider a 4 way model for use with the AM3K. Hmmmm....

Thanks for the tip Carl!

dnjan

alveopora
So, which upcoming meeting will be at Paul's house so he can report on these new switching devices? Including seeing his re-done tank with them switching away.

Paul - while you are at it, how about some aragocrete built on a pipe structure, including the pipe outlets? I would really like to see you de-bug this concept before I get around to remodeling my basement and putting a new tank in down there.

Ed Hahn

Life is A Highway...
Paul,
I am using a mag 18 with my SQWD. I also have a half inch sea swirl driven by a Rio(ducking) 1400. The SQWD reduces water flow to tank. I was told I could go maximum of 1400 gal per hour with SQWD. For some reason my sea swirl looks like to me to be pushing more current into tank? Just my Opinion..good luck..Ed

dnjan

alveopora
Thanks Reedman! I have the pipes with outlets in my tank now, with some rock cable tied to the pipes and some drilled and stacked. For the next tank I would like to go with aragocrete around the pipes themselves (possibly aragocrete "stacks" on the ends to hide the pipes, and real live rock in the middle.

The one thing I didn't do (and wish I had) is to plumb my imbeded pipes to an external pump. Right now, they are attached (with flexible pipe and unions) to maxijets. The maxijets hide behind rockwork in the middle, but are a pain to do maintenance on.

That idea about aragocrete substrate is interesting. Wonder if it would work to use southdown for the aragocrete? I can imagine forming in some "ripple marks" into the aragocrete "sandbed".

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.