Quantcast

changing power compacts to mh

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

mfinn

Surgeonfish
I am changing the lighting on my zoanthid tank from 5x55 watt pc to 250watt 20k Radium and 2x55 watt actinic. The tank is 30"wide, 18' tall and 18" front to back. I plan on the mh bulb setting 9" from the water. The canopy that I plan to build will prevent me from raising and lowering the bulb.
I am fairly sure that the zoo's would melt if I ran the mh 8 hours a day right from the start.
Can anybody give me some ideas on a schedule for the mh?

big t

tankless
Just start them out slow and they should be fine. Zoo's love light. I think if you started it out 4 hrs a day w/ the MH and run the pc's as normal. Then add a hour a week untill you get to where you want. That is the recommended method that I have heard.

mfinn

Surgeonfish
4 sounds good, I was afraid that I'd have to start at 1 or 2.
I have some that I really want to see under the 20k radium.

Witfull

if possible, get some eggcrate and screen. rest the EC over the tank and add several layers of screen untill the light shining through as appx the same as the PC's were emitting. then weekly remove one layer of screen untill its gone, then they should be aclimated without burning.

i hate to disagree with T, but in an hour they could possibly burn due to radical change in lighting. its not duration but intensity that you need to aclimate them too.

big t

tankless
No prob on disagreeing w/ me there Whit. I don't mind. I have heard that method also, sounds like a good one.

mfinn

Surgeonfish
Any ideas on determining how many layers of screen material to use. Just guess? I don't have a type of light meter. If they are reasonable in price, it wouldn't be a problem buying one.

Witfull

it depends on how bright the MH is compared to your old PC's, its a judgement call that you will have to make, but i would say atleast 2 or more.

mfinn

Surgeonfish
I'm also going to try and figure out a way to raise the canopy another 2 or 3 inches. I have some nice zoo's and I don't want to screw this up.
Thanks

mattseattle

one thing i did was to get cardboard and to cover the area over the zoo's when i upgraded to metal halides. i removed the cardboard about 2 weeks into the new lights. no problems with my zoo's at all. it was cheaper than egg crate :)

i also started the MH out at about 5 hours a day and slowly ramped up adding an hour every other week for a while.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.