Quantcast

chemistry ?

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

jks1

Ive got a 210g (see equip in signature) which has been up for about 8 weeks. Everything is good with the tank- just going through the new tank algae phases. Water testing today:

Temp: 80.3
PH: 8.34
SG: 1.026
Amm: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
Alk: 4.23
Magn: ~1800
Ca: 380
ORP: 305

The glaring issue here is the Ca. Ive buffed and buffed and buffed (with Seachem reef advantage Calcium) and I cannot get it above 380. I am thinking this is due to the high Magnesium and possibly Alk. I had a 200g bucket of Reef Crystals which was the source of the Magnesium. What should I do now? Is there a way to lower Magnesium? Do you think the Alk is a contributing factor? Any advice would be appreciated...

aquariumdebacle

electrolyte addict
If you lower your salinity to 1.025 your calcium should be about right. The magnesium will have to be lowered through water changes

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
I wouldnt worry about the mag, its the alk that is beating on your calcium. Water changing yuorself back down to normal levels is the best way so go that route and stop using the reef advaantage, thats where the algae is probibly coming from.

Mike

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.