Quantcast

Chiller in WA??

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

jlehigh

Hermit D Crab
Hey All,

I am buying allot of equipment for my new tank, and I just can't convince myself to buy a chiller living here... Especially for the 500.00 to 1K they cost! I know we had a longer than usual summer last year...

Are they really neccesary in this area?

I will have allot of lighting, heating up the water however the majority of the tank will also be housed in the garage side of the wall in my basement where it is always cooler and the sump will probably sit on the cement slab which should also help..

Lemme know what you think..

oregon gorge

Heat

We had a problem here with the heat this summer. It evapoated about 15 gallons. Bad news! I put a window air conditioner in that room and it keeps the reef and family cool. The tank room is on the south side and it really heats up. I think the A/C was about $250.00 and is dual purpose. Oh, we have 1850 watts of light, so you can compare the amount you will have.

Works for us anyway,

Good luck, Chris

jazznreef

i think the room the tank is in is the real driver behind heat issues in this region. ive been in a few different living arrangements with my tank and had differing temps. holding everything equal, i would think you would be fine in a basement with sump in garage. however, only you know how your basement warms up. i do agree that an air conditioner can be a better investment. that would be the route i would take.

jlehigh

Hermit D Crab
The air conditioner I think will be a great time buyer until I can regroup financialy. Thanks for the suggestion! We'll see how the book balance. Maybe someday I'll even have livestock!! One can only hope :)

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.