Quantcast

Clam Behaviors

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

SlowBoat

Anyone ever have a clam that always wanted to position itself on the side. I have a crocea that repositions itself close to a 45 degree angle not matter what I do.

Also has anyone experienced clams that move about the tank?

Gordo

I just got a maxima a couple of weeks ago and it does the same thing. I set him up and he lays over on his side as close to 90 degrees as he can get. He's fully extended and seems happy. :rolleyes:

~Gordo~

SlowBoat

I think we have the most uncooperative clams alive. I have tried moving it to different spots of the tank and I get the same behavior. It also is a PIA to photograph from above the tank. :?

Does your clam tend to dig a pit in the sand to lay in?

tamarindthai

SlowBoat said:
Anyone ever have a clam that always wanted to position itself on the side. I have a crocea that repositions itself close to a 45 degree angle not matter what I do.

Also has anyone experienced clams that move about the tank?
my do the same thing,,crocea

christyf5

Somebody named MalHavoc posted this on canreef:

MalHavoc said:
Here's a trick for getting clams to attach when you put them in the sand. Try burying a small seashell (a half oyster shell or something) under the clam, an inch or so beneath the sand surface. The clam will eventually attach its byssal gland to it. That way, it won't move on your sand bed, it won't tip over, and if you ever have to move the clam some place, you can just pick it up by the shell and carry it, like a teacup.
Best advice I've ever heard for those roving clams. Works like a charm. I used a larger sized snail shell for my 2.5" clam. I just placed the shell sort of under the clam and it moved over and attached to it. Now the clam doesn't go anywhere.

Christy :)

SlowBoat

Christy, thanks for the suggestion, but have already tried that trick. The clam has attached to a turbo and astrea shell and still desides to lean over.

Guess this is a common triat for crocea. I want a refund :)

MtnDewMan

I have always given up on trying to place the clams. If they want to lean 45 degrees and are doing fine, let them lean :) To keep constantly moving them will irritate them more than letting them be.

Mushroom Boy

Have you guys tried larger chunks of rubble rock? Croceas and maximas both like "grabbing" on to something, so maybe that would help. A snail shell may not be large enough to keep it anchored. JM$.02...

Paul.

Maxx

Staff Housemonkey
I have a 3.5 inch Derasa clam that "sneezes". Every so often it will close its siphon, swell w/ water, shut its gill opening, and "sneeze", a brief spasm lasting a split second. Then it opens back up, and goes about its business. I was worried at first but its added about an 1/8th of an inch to its shell in the 2 months that I've had it. I have a 6 line wrasse in the tank for clam parasite control, and I havent seen any thing resembling small grains of sand in the clam...anyone heard of this before, or seen it in their own tank?
Nick

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.