Quantcast

Clam - in a BareBottom

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

wanareef

reefer addict
Clams - in a BareBottom

We have 3 clams and all 3 were placed on a flat rock of some sort and placed in the sand bed.

Several weeks ago I took out the sand bed and placed the clams on the glass with their rock still attached. All three would not stay upright and one started to attach to the glass and all 3 let go of their orginal rock. My wife suggested using PVC to stand the clams up. All three seem happy, opened and extended.

Is there any short/long term affect on the clams if not attached to a rock? clams= crocea and 2 maximas

Last edited:

Barry N.

What size of clams are they?

As long as they are retracting to shadows well and extending well then you should be ok. Not all clams will attach but normally the T. Crocea will in most cases. No ill effect if they don't. That is why I asked about the size as some larger clams will depend on the weight to hold them up. Check the byssal's (footing) and see if all looks ok.

wanareef

reefer addict
All right a clam expert!! Hi ya Barry

The clams are 3 to 3.5 They are all reactive, fully open. Will check the foot when I get home @ work now shhhh

thanks

Barry N.

That size Crocea most of the time will attach as they have the largest byssal of Tridacnid clams. You might want to check the water movement around where you have the clams placed.

Cheers,

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.