Quantcast

Clarkii Problems

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

Beckmola24

Hawkfish
I've had my clarkii for about a year now. She survived my cross-country move VERY well. She got a little malnourished because all I could feed her for about a month was flake and some freeze dried stuff. When I got to Houston I got her on a good variety again, but the day after introducing the new variety, she started acting strange. There aren't any ich spots on her so it's not that. She is hanging out near the top of the tank acting lethargic. The day after she ate the food, she started swimming into things too. I've never seen her act this way. She's a real spitfire. She is sharing a 5 gallon holding tank (for now) with my bi-color blenny. For the past 2 months, they've gotten along in there. It was the only place I could keep them while I was visiting family for Christmas. I am waiting for my 12 gallon to finish cycling so I can separate the 2. Her bottom fins do get a little shredded by the blenny, but she asks for it most of the time and that's nothing new. They've gotten along for a year since I bought the 2 together. Could the clarkii be scared of the blenny now??? They're about the same size if they were the same shape. My clarkii doesn't really have any interest in food anymore either. The only other thing I could think of is that she does tend to try to inhale the food before it hits the water which could've caused her to gulp air. Any ideas on what could be wrong with her???? I'd appreciate any help.

Beckmola24

Hawkfish
I do water changes in that tank at least once a week since it's a small tank. Sometimes I change it twice a week. My salinity and other levels are absolutely on target. I'm really worried about her.

NaH2O

Becky - what is the variety you are feeding now? Did you provide any PVC pieces or other options in the tank for hiding spots? Other than the fins, does she appear to look normal?

Beckmola24

Hawkfish
Yes she looks completely normal except for her fins. When she swims she doesn't even clamp them. That's why I'm puzzled... I fed her: Spectrum pellet things, Formula 1 and Reef Formula, Cyclopeeze and Mysis. There was a piece of rock in the tank, but the blenny had pretty much claimed that. Oh, I had also re-arranged the rock a day or so before she started acting weird. I wanted to get her and the blenny as far away as I could (in a 5 gallon tank :)) Anyways, I moved here to the 12 gallon yesterday so I'm hoping things will change. Anytime she's come down with ICH or something, she's been able to overcome it, but who knows. I hope she comes through this.

wrightme43

Moving and tight tank quarters may have caused long term low grade stress. Just like with us there is a point where it starts to wear on us and weaken our immune, and mental systems. This is just a thought, maybe that is it? Steve

Beckmola24

Hawkfish
She's doing MUCH better since I moved her to the 12 gallon tank. She isn't 100% better, but she's acting a little more like herself. I was thrilled when she ate 2 pieces of mysis today. Two is better than none :) She usually inhales like 20 pieces. She got really excited when I put the food in the tank, but was only interest in those pieces but I am hopeful. I soaked the food in garlic to try and lure her to eat. Anyways she is back to terrorizing the nassarius. She likes to pick at the backs of their shells and make them fall when they are climbing the tank sides. :)

Beckmola24

Hawkfish
My clarkii is acting fine now that I moved her, but she still won't eat. She gets excited and swims all around the tank when I put food in, but won't take a bite. Any suggestions on what to do??? I've tried all different types of food and I"ve also tried garlic in the food. She just won't eat. She's going to starve if I can't get her to eat.

NaH2O

Becky - have you tried live brine? What types of food is she refusing? Is she ignoring the food completely or sampling a little of it?

Beckmola24

Hawkfish
I haven't tried live brine, but she is refusing cyclopeeze (which she loves). She refused formula 1 and the reef formula frozen, mysis, cyclopeeze, Reef Spectrum small fish pellets (which she also loves) and reef formula flake. She refused a lot. This isn't like her. She sampled 2 pieces of mysis about 4 days ago but that's been it. Any ideas on what I can do???

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts