Quantcast

Clean-up crews??

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

jks1

Well, hard to believe but the new 210 has finished the cycle and has been up now for a month on Saturday. Ive slowly increased lighting over the course of the month and have been at full glory for a week and a half now- (3 x 400W 10K + 2 x 96W Actinics).

Did a full battery of tests this morning:
Temp= 78.8
PH= 8.11
SG= 1.026
ORP= 275
Ammonia= 0
Nitrite= .07
Nitrate= 3.5
Alk= 4.0 meq/L
Calcium= 350
Phos= .02
Magnesium= 1840

So most looks pretty good. Cant figure out whats up with the magnesium, tested twice and got the same results. Ive never added anything to the tank... Could it be coming from the Ca reactor? Im using ARM media. Also all water was RO/DI with a TDS of 2. Any ideas?

Also I think it is about time for a clean-up crew. I will need a fairly big one. I want to avoid blue leg hermits, but will add a few scarlets. For a 210, what would you recommend and where would you get it online??

Heres a pic from this morning, it should be obvious why I want to add the clean-up crew.. but it is to be expected:

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
John it looks like its still in the nitrate part of the cycle a tiny bit, some water changes should help that though. Mag is probibly from your salt mix, what kind did you use?? The orp level is showing that thier is still alot of oxidizing still going on, but again water changes should help that. As per clean up crews, I would go with a bunch of conches for the sand, maybe some nasserious (sp?) to. Asteras are the best for the glass. Check with our sponcers for deals they may have going on.

Mike

jks1

Mike- used reef crystals. I will mix a batch and test it tomorrow and post the results. What will a mag that high do to me? Does it fall into the bowl of marbles- like I wont be able to raise Ca?

Also I understand that ORP is a battle between the oxinators and the oxidizers. An ideal level should be 350 ish?? But what does a level of 275 actually mean and is water changes the only way to corect it? You and I have talked about this before but I think you need to hit me with the big club of knowledge one more time. Thanks..

Ray Pollett

I know this will sound off the beat. If you do the proper water changes, stop worring about all the "Correct Numbers". I've seen it time and time again, people worry about all the numbers being prefect according to the "Experts" and books. They are consantly tinkering with the water trying to get it prefect. They have more problems from what I've seen and most enjoy their tanks less than those who do not continuely try to have prefect water.

I know people will scream that is crazzy. But I've seen it time and time again. The fish (and other animals) do better with consistent water parameters; not parameters that are always changing trying to get perfect water conditions.

My 2 cents worth.

Ray

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.