Quantcast

Cleaner vs Sally lite foot

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

DonW

R.I.P.
I just got a cleaner shrimp, within a few hours my Sally lite foot crabs killed him. Did I just make a bad decision or is this abnormal.

Don

mattseattle

Wonder if the shrimp was already on his last leg.....usually a sally lightfoot won't attack unless they are in a weakened state.

i've had my sally lightfoot for about 6 months now and my cleaner shrimp, pistol shrimp and another shrimp for about 5 months and they've not attacked each other. i caught my sally lightfoot eating a snail once but i think it was already dead.

DonW

R.I.P.
Shrimp

I really dont know. He looked just fine, moving around the tank and his stipe was bright colored. Is there a way to tell if a shrimp is in poor health?

Don

Sealab2021

Puffer
I hear both sally lightfoots and arrow crabs are no-nos with shrimp(i've even heard of emeralds going after shrimp).

while not the case for everyone, i think peaceful co-habitation of the 2 is the exception rather than the rule.

only crabs I'd bet are safe with shrimp are maybe pom-poms and hermits

mattseattle

yeah i've read a few stories about peoples sally lightfoots going after shrimp and hermit crabs. i've also read about hermit crabs going after shrimp. mine has lived peacefully in my tank for 6 - 7 months.

how large is your sally lightfoot?

oregon gorge

We have 3 Sally's, 5 peppermints and a cleaner. We have always had SLF and shrimp too without a problem. Shrimp can move pretty fast, even faster than SLF, so I wonder if there was something else going on there?

Most of the crabs we have in the tanks are opportunists, but that said, there are those tankmates that have not read the books and dont know they are reef safe :)

good luck, Chris

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
As chris said crabs are oppurtunistic, if thier hungrey and they have a shot at a shrimp dinner....enough said. alot also has to do with the size when it comes to crabs, the larger they get the more protien they need in thier diets.

Mike

Maryrosi

Mischievous Mermaid
I have two cleaners and a Peppermint shrimp with a HUGE SL. I have been trying to catch the SL for a long time now to get it out of the tank. My husband has even netted her once and she jumped out leaving a leg hanging in the net. She usually scales the back wall of the tank and picks at it. Once you open the doors to the canopy it's gone in a second back into the rock. They are so dang fast! I've had mine for over a year and it measures close to 3 - 4 inches across, including the leg span.

j.stagner

Seeker of knowledge
I have had several SLF in past tanks with no problems, but the one I have now I wish I'd never gotten! It continually lunges at the fish, walks all over and irritates my corals, and may be responsible for killing three peppermint shrimp (not really sure).

I know that currently it can't catch any of my fish, or at least hasn't managed to, but if it ever gets lucky I will be short a fish. Problem is, the thing is lightning fast! I think it is extremely unlikely that I will be able to extract it from the tank without breaking down my whole rock structure.

For now I just ignore it, but I worry occasionally. The kids have named it "Chump".

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
A way to catch these things is by placing a tall glass against the rock where it hangs. on the bottom of the glass put in a chunk of shrimp meat. Mkae sure the glass is leaning at a sharp angle. Usuall the crab will jump in to get the food but cant get out because the glass walls are to slippery. Its worked for me in the past.

Mike

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts