Quantcast

Cleaning my Crushed Coral Substrate

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

hsdrichb

I have a 125 FOWLR and the magnum canister I use to vacuum my CC stinks. Suctioning it with the hose when I do my water change also seems like a pain in the neck. Is there anything else I can use that's better than the Magnum for the job? My LFS only sells the Magnum, there has to be someone that makes a better product, the suction stinks.

Curtswearing

Mantisfreak
You can use a Python Waterchanger or even a freshwater gravel cleaner.

It is important to suck out as much detritus as possible before it breaks down. This will be a great help with Nitrate levels and Phosphate levels. If you want to do this when you aren't due for a waterchange, you can put a micron filter sock in your sump and run the siphon to it. The filter bag will collect the detritus but put the cleaned water back into the tank.

If you don't have a sump, you can use an old salt bucket, run the siphon through the filter sock, and then dump the bucket back into the tank. I would personally recommend the 1 micron or 5 micron or 10 felt bag sock for doing this. Felt Bag Socks

hsdrichb

hmmm..

interesting...

will my pump be able to keep up with the rate of siphoning? I guess it depends on the size up the sump huh?

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
When I used to have CC I used to just use a hose attached to a clear long tub. I would put the output into the a 5 micron sock in the sump. then just pull the sock and wash it out.
Right now I hooked up a jacuzzi filter to my return pump intake. on the other side of the filter I hooked up a 1 inch clear tube. that the way I suck up the detritus on the bottom.

Mike

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.