Quantcast

Cleaning skimmer of salt residue

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

zeltar

Proud new papa....
I have an AquaC 150 skimmer that was on my old tank and will go on my new one. The skimmer has been dry for about a year and there is quit a bit of salt built up on it. What is the best way to clean this and get it back to "like new" condition. It would be best if I could soak the entire unit.

TIA.

--Eric.

reedman

Here's a tip from an old issue of Advanced Aquarist:

Tip 3: Tired of seeing calcium and other deposits buildup in and on your skimmer, venturi and pumps? Well you can remove them entirely and restore them to like new condition in less than 1 hour. First remove them from your sump and to a well-ventilated area. Next mix up 3 or 4 to 1 DI water to muriatic acid in large 5gl bucket. BE SURE TO WEAR GLOVE, EYE PROTECTION AND LONG SLEEVES AND ALWAYS ADD ACID TO WATER.

Set all equipment into bucket if possible and stand back and watch as the acid will totally dissolve all deposits. And for better cleaning power run the mix through the skimmer. Let all items sit and or run for 30 minutes to 45 minutes rinse thoroughly. Your pumps will thank you and your skimmer and venturi will too.

I have not done this yet myself, but it seems like it should work fine. I have the muriatic acid and plan to do this in the near future.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts