Quantcast

Clown and Anenome

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

DonW

R.I.P.
My perc clown will snuggle up to anything soft. Of course this is irritating all my soft corals. He starts with the cup until it closes, moves to the flowerpot then the galaxcia.
I was thinking an anenome might keep him in one spot.
Can you suggest a smaller slower growing anenome that may do the trick.

Thanks
Don

Mushroom Boy

I would suggest a bubble tip, primarily because there are more aquacultured specimens of this species available than any others. Due to the dismal success rate of most species of anemones in captivity, I would strongly urge anyone interested in getting an anemone to choose a species with a proven track record in captivity - if any can be considered to have a proven track record is another point of debate. A tank cloned specimen would be the ideal to minimize the effects of taking from the "wild stock".

Whether or not the perc will host in a BTA is another question entirely, as I don't believe they are natural hosts for them. That's not to say it won't happen because I have seen it in person. Is your clown a true perc, or an ocellaris?

Alice

You might try a true soft coral like a Colt coral, if you don't mind having a more mixed tank. If you'd like to stay with LPS, you could try a frogspawn, clowns seem to like them and they don't seem to irritate the frogspawn as much as other LPS.

Alice

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts