Quantcast

clown goby and acros question

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

CTurtleGirl

I just got a clown goby on saturday. He really likes to hang out in my millepora and seems to be happy. My question is, ever since he has been haning out in the milli the polyps are not extending. Is the prescence of the clown goby something the coral will get used to and start extending again? Thanks!

CTurtleGirl:cool:

G~

Super Gobie
does the goby sleep in there at night also? as long as the mille can extend its polyps sometime during the day it whould be fine. fish hide out in the coral heads all the time.

i do not know what you would do about it anyway. just keep an eye on the colony. as long as the goby does not stay in the exact same spot without moving for hours on end the colony should be fine.

G~

CTurtleGirl

The clown goby doesn't seem to be sleeping in the colony. In fact he now cruises around from colony to colony but spending most of the time by the milli. The milli has not extended its polyps much in 3 days. Should I try to move it? I recently had to change my tank around and its in a different spot now but the polyps were extending before I got the goby. Thanks!

CTurtleGirl

The milli seems to be extending its polyps about halfway now. I am kinda worried about the clown goby (who I have now named nuprin) because it doesn't look like he's eating anything. His tummy is all sunk in. I think he may be nipping a bit at the polyps wich is why they aren't extending much. When I feed the tank he tries to go after stuff but is pretty skitish. I put one of those marine tabs by the milli tonight and he kinda ate some of that. Ive been feeding brine shrimp, mysis, and other such meaty foods that all my other fish love. Any thoughts?

kevinpo

Expert
They are polyp nippers but don't do any real damage except when they want to clear a patch to lay eggs. They will take any meaty foods like shrimp, frozen Formula1, freeze dried plankton etc.

HTH,
Kevin

ggarner

green gobys never nipped in my experience.. it was the yellow or citron ones that you have to watch out for (by green i mean clown)

BlennyBabe

Rachel
I bought a pair for my 75. One never ate and soon disapeared. The other one ate my polyps. I watched him devour my beloved hairy acro. I was pissed. I could not catch him. I had to pull every piece of live rock out of the tank and into a tub, then I searched for him for an hour and then gave up and put the rock back in the tank. While I was doing that, the little guy flopped out and now lives at the pet store. Its a shame, because I really love how cute those fish are. I think I might try again in my nano that doesnt have any sps.
I have heard of some people "borrowing" lionfish or other predators to eat their clown rather than tear the tank apart for them.
Good luck with yours.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts