Quantcast

Clownfish Maturity

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

Beckmola24

Hawkfish
I have had 2 Ocellaris Clownfish for about 3 months. They were purchased as juveniles and were almost the same size. One was slightly larger. I dont' think they've paired yet. When will I be able to tell? The larger one is still somewhat aggressive towards the smaller one but never harms it (just chases it a bit) What should I look for? Will one always be a little aggressive towards the other? They are about 2 inches long and look much bigger than the juveniles I've seen around at my LFS. I'd appreciate any info someone could shed on the situation.

kevinpo

Expert
They will mature at about 2.5-3 years old. The female will be about twice as large as the male and they will never be more than a few inches from each other. The female may begin to sweep the sand away from the bottom creating quite the hole. The male will frequently lay on his side twitching at the female, a sign of submission. When the female is ready to lay eggs she will do the same action towards the male. Soon after they begin to bite at the base of a rock or other suitable surface in order to make it perfectly clean for the eggs.

HTH,
Kevin

Cougra

Ocellaris clowns are one of the slowest growing of all the clownfish as well, so it takes patience to get a mated pair.

Beckmola24

Hawkfish
How can I tell how old they are? The "male" already twitches at the female on his side and the female does sort of the same thing.

Last edited:

reefer

So I guess I have a male clarkii. No female. I've about had it with my guy tilling the bottom of my tank and showering thr rock and corals with sand. Is this just a stage he's in proving his manhood or is this something he will do all the time?

kevinpo

Expert
Your male Clarki is a female or soon will be. All clownfish are born male but will turn into female if kept alone. In pairs or groups only the most aggressive one becomes the female the rest remaining male until the female is removed then the dominant male becomes female.

Regards,
Kevin

Beckmola24

Hawkfish
My larger clown really picks on the smaller one giving him some stress. Will this stop anytime soon? I think it's beginning to wear on the poor little guy. I've had them for about 3 months and they live in a 12 gallon by themselves.

kevinpo

Expert
I would give them at least 6 months or so. One should become much larger than the other. My female would occasionally grab the male by the pectrol fin and give him a good shake. She stopped doing it before any real damage was done.

HTH,
Kevin

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.