Computer Help!

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

Alice

My oldest son has taken a liking to hot rod sites..he likes the cars..uh huh
:rolleyes:
Anyway, I tried to pull a pic of a snail out of the "my pictures" file on my Windows 98 this morning and ALL of my pics are gone, replaced with pics of cars and women with names like "Candy." AAAAARRRRRRGGGGGHHHH

There are a lot of pics in that file, none of them mine. Is there a finite amount of space in that file and once it's reached, the older ones start getting deleted? He swears up and down he only saved 5 pictures. Or did my file get taken over by some kind of spyware?

It just makes me sick, some of the pics in that file I will have a really hard time replacing, if I'm able to at all.

I think I need to look into adding additional drives or zip drives or something. My computer is the only one in the house right now with enough RAM to play the games and stuff the kids like to do online.

BTW, there's nothing in the recycle bin. My pics are just gone. :(

Alice

mattseattle

i would find an undelete program and let it search that directory and see if it can retrieve anything. you can go to www.downloads.com and do a search for windows 98 and undelete and you should be able to find something.

you may also just do a search in explorer for 'pictures' and see if they may have accidently been copied/moved to another folder on the hard drive.

OnTheReef

Re: my pictures folder

Alice,

There is nothing special about the "My Pictures" folder in terms of capacity. You might check if another folder was created for you in the root of your C: drive called "My Photos" -- this subtlety has tripped me up a few times. Also, there is a My Documents folder for each user on the system, of course containing its own My Pictures folder. Check the "Profiles" folder to see if your pictures are under any of the profiles there.

Hope this helps,

Eric

Alice

I wasn't smart enough to set Windows up for different users. But you can bet I'm going to do that now :(

Katchupoy

is it also possible that you are already in a new user and thats why you can't see your old stuff on "my pictures" directory.

is there a particular file name u remember on your pictures so you can do a search.

start button then search for files then *anyletterhereyouremember*.*

Alice

How do I look for a different use? I want to double check it even though I doubt that is the case. I didn't have windows set up for multiple users and I doubt my son could have figured out how to set it up, but just in case....

Alice

Desolas

Free Jolly Jenkins.
Start > Settings > Control Panel > Users

He may have changed it so the computer has multiple user accounts.

Easy way to check, hit Start and there should be on the bottom of the start menu something that says "Logoff Username" and a username is there. If there is some cute word or your kids name, viola, he made a new account.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.