Quantcast

Contributing funds for a faster server

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

mattseattle

Lately I'm noticing a considerable slow down on the forums. Is it just me? I have DSL 1.5megabit downstream so I don't think it's my connection. I know our userbase has increased and all. Is the web server located on someones home machine or are we on a dedicated server being hosted by someone?

if not I would like for us to consider taking up a 'Contributing User' pledge drive or something to get us on a reliable and FASSSSTTTT server. I'd be willing to donate 20 or 30.00 to help with this task.

Thanks!

reefer

I have broadband and have not noticed appreciable slow downs. I've been on since about the time the new site was created. I am amazed at how many people join each day though.

esmith

AQUAMANIAC
I have cable connection, and do notice that many times pages are slow to load.

I was wondering why it's been happening more frequently, but assumed that the site was already being hosted on a dedicated server.

I'd also be willing to contribut some money to get it hosted if it isn't.

Eliyah

mattseattle

many times it's fast but lately i've noticed that it's taking quite a bit of times to load the icons and graphics. i've cleared my cache and all thinking maybe that was it. you really notice it if you go to the 'sponsors' page and wait for those graphics to load.

mattseattle

ok, i'm glad it's not just me. i've cleared my cache, checked my routing and some other things.

right now <11:30 pm> it seems fast but just about an hour ago it seemed slow. took about 20 seconds just to do a search on new postings.

Curtswearing

Mantisfreak
During peak usage times, it is normal for a board to experience some lag. However, make sure that your computer isn't being used by a spammer. You might be shocked if you read the fine print on a lot of "free" downloads. The following don't come with spyware.....they find it for you or protect against unauthorized access.

Stopzilla

Ad-Aware

Free Firewall . Org has a couple firewalls.

Free Surfer

Spybot S-D

NaH2O

Thanks, for the links Curt!

I, too, have noticed some lag at certain times of the day.

MtnDewMan

We are currently on a shared hosting service, not a dedicated server. Definately more money per month for a dedicated server. My goal is to see how the site continues to grow and then consider switching hosting services at that time. Whether it is a hosting service that has faster response times or a dedicated server is still part of the mix.

Thanks for the input, I will keep my eyes out to see what is out there. Only want to do this once as it is a very large event to move the site.

mattseattle

Curt -Thanks for those links. I currently use Ad-aware to check for spyware and such. I also have a firewall running.

Chuck - thanks for the followup.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts