Quantcast

Cooling for light fixtures

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

OnTheReef

I understand that light elements will last up to three times longer if they are adequately cooled, but most fixtures, especially retro-fit kits, do not include any fans. I am curious what others have done in this regard? I am considering a DIY project using some really quiet case or power supply fans from the PC industry and hooking into the output of the flourescent power supply or using a surplus AC adapter to provide power for the fans. Anyone else done something similar?

Doug1

I use 4" AC fans that are used in oxygen concentrating machines to vent heat from compressors. One of the perks of workin in medical field :)

G~

Super Gobie
i have 5 2" and 3 4" fans installed in my hood. even with all of this the temp in the hood reaches 92 degrees during the day. with 2-400w MHs and 2-160w VHO's.

i would really love to have some of those ultra quiet fans that are in the new G5 computers. they are wicked quiet!

G~

H

H3R0

im plan on building my mh setup and having 4 120mm blue led fans blowing through and out ( http://www.xpcases.com/shop/item.asp?CatID=18&Sku=183 ) i plan on having 2 150 mh and 6 t5 24inch, 2 actinic and 4 1000k... give me your opinion on how well you think that would work...

Doug1

Interestng fans, but the novelty I think would be out weighed by having to rig up a seperate 12vdc power supply. The AC fans I have are plugged into the timers so they come on just after the lights and run about 15 min after shut off to help avoid a heat spike after shut down.
Keep us posted on the T-5 lights, how they work and cost. I know they are becoming the darling in the hobby but with the proliferation of VHO e-ballast(essentially IceCap clones) the cost of VHO is competitive with the others even in shorter lengths. I love the fact that you can drive NO tubes with them, handy if a bulb burns out on a sunday night, retail on PC and the others would make keeping spares an added expense that most people would spend on new coral or something :)

H

H3R0

we sell t5 for cheap. i mean really cheap. im talking like 24'' bulb and disposable balast for about 17 bucks retail ;) nothing can really compete with that

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
Hey H3RO I have heard the life span on those lights are really short, like in the zone of a couple of months?? I got a couple of the T5 set ups from sunlight supply with the german aquastik bulbs and I have to addmit the do put out alot more visable light then the VHO set ups.

Mike

H

H3R0

no the life on those is about 6 months, and thats how often you should replace regular florecents anyway

H

H3R0

yea, there pretty cool... im now in the procces of making the hood so ill post the pics. go go disposable t5s

Doug1

I invested in electronic ballasts and use VHO bulbs 12-18 months. You mean I could by some cheapy things and throw em away when they quit. Sounds like someone has grown into the great American disposable lifestyle :(

OnTheReef

Re: disposable fixtures

My LFS was raving about these new compact T5s, but I was really disappointed with the quality of the hardware and the statement of "disposable fixture" in the packaging. Not only do think it's irresponsible and wasteful, but I don't want the hassle of swapping out fixtures every few months. Also, the packaging warns not to use them with extension cords. Give me a freaking break, every tank room is crawling with cords and the wimpy little cords that come with the fixtures are certainly not going to make it from most hoods down to where most outlets are positioned. So, I took the fixtures apart and I am in the process of retrofitting them with decent 14awg cords. I'll post a pictorial in the DIY forum when I am done. If they last longer this way, I can use them, otherwise, I'll be looking for a longer lasting fixture and T5 ballast.

H

H3R0

the ones we carry (helios) are pretty nice. ill post the pics cause my hoods almost done and i have mine rigged so all the t5s are on one cord thats 4 lights, i also made a manual lunar cycle 7 watt moon light, and will be putting 2 150 watt ewasaki mh and ballast with my personal made reflectors and the inside of the hood is also white to reflect light

|...2xt5=======================............|
|_____________________________________|

kinda like that

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts