Quantcast

Coral Bleaching??

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

Beckmola24

Hawkfish
While I was away on vacation, my clumsy clarkii knocked my coral off of it's ledge and it was further away from the light than it should've been (neighbor didn't have a clue) :) Anyways, it started to bleach at the tips while I was away. The pictures are sort of a Before and After shot. It has grown a bit since the first pic, and the polyps are out much further (I took the pic the first day I had it). How do I stop the bleaching? I am worried it won't go away. It's not getting better or worse. It's currently close to my lights, but could that be the problem?? Could it need a little less light?? It is a green fuzzy (sps) stylophora (spelling....) It was doing great until it got knocked around. I don't think my lighting is inadequate. I'd had it for about 4 months before going away and it was doing great. I have a 130 watt PC and it's almost at the top of my tank. I used to only have a 96W. Could that maybe be the problem?? Is it just a little stressed while getting used to the lighting change??? It is a captive bred coral that was fragged under very low VHO's, so my light was actually better than from where I got it. I sound kid of freaked out, but it was my first coral, and I'm kind of worried :(
Thanks!

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
Becky it doesnt look like bleaching, more like some tip burn from being knocked over. Let it set where it is and it should come back if it was growing before. Maybe use some crazy glue to hold it in place so it doesn happen again.

Mike

reedman

Hi Becky,
When you say bleaching at the tips, do you mean the tips are white? I ask because when SPS corals grow they tend to have white tips. This could just be a sign that your coral is growing. When they bleach it is due to the coral expelling its zooxanthellae algae. Thi scan happen from light shock, temp shock, almost any stressor. Often times this happens to the entire coral, not just a portion.

I think you are seeing growth, but I'd see what some of the other folks say as well.

Nice coral,
-Reed

Beckmola24

Hawkfish
I hope it's growing and not bleaching. I love this coral and would hate to see anything happen to it. I really get attached to my tank inhabitants :) Don't we all a little???

wrightme43

Becky it looks to me like it will be fine. In my opinion corals can take quite a whiping. Take a hurricane for example, the pieces that are broken off as long as they get adquate lighting and dont land on a coral that can sting harder usally grow a whole new colony. I think thats why we can frag corals and swap them from ocean to tank to tank to tank to tank ad infin. just my humble opinion. Steve

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts