Quantcast

Coral Growth

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

DonW

R.I.P.
Kind of a odd question. As I plan my tank and research coral along with tank placement, I would like to consider growth rate. So really what is fast, medium or slow growth? Is a rock with 5 mushrooms going to cover the rock and spread in a month, 6 months or a year. Is the handfull macro algae in my sump going to take over by next month. Well you get my point. I know alot depends on water conditions and lighting. I dont want to overcrowd the system. If it helps I am using a Ushio 10k 250w MH over a 43G hex.

Thanks
Don

jmaxwell

growth

Question asked...Question answered. Seriously though there are so many variables. Are you thinking of mostly soft corals or lps, sps, macro algae? It has been my experience that macro algae is the fastest grower without grazers, and can take over a tank in a period of months. Mushrooms and zoos grow slowly initially, and rarely have issues w/ overcrowding as they will do ok in the shadier areas. Long tentacled lps need room mostly because of their ability to sting, but otherwise grow fairly slow (beware of sweeper tentacles on lps such as Galaxia, and Bubble). Also lps tissue will expand greatly once settled into your tank and will take up much more room than at the fish store. Many sps can grow very fast once established and should also be given room (sometimes 2-3 inches per month at the extreme). Of course this can all be debated, but I hope it helps.

Jim

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.