Quantcast

coraline algea

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

Zack

Enjoy the reef!
Hey
I have coraline algae growing all over the place and I use a magnet clearer as well called hammerhead, anyway besides that and like kent scrapers to help get it off my acrylic?

Mushroom Boy

Hi Zack.

Getting it off of acrylic can be a tricky business. I use a Kent scraper when mine appears. Either that, or an acrylic safe algae pad. I've found that with regular cleanings, it doesn't have much of a chance to get established and the magnet will usually do the trick. If not, I break out the Kent scraper...

Paul.

Zack

Enjoy the reef!
hey thanks for the advice, just had to go out of town and take care person forgot to run magnet and in 10 days it is all over the place.

MtnDewMan

You can also try a credit card ... you can get into a bit closer quarters if needed with a stiff credit card. Seems to have worked well on concentrated areas of coraline algae for me.

R

reef madness

I use the credit card trick too, but if it gets too thick, a peice of acrylic works great and will fit in the same places as the credit card while being quite stiff. Works wonders for those spots where rock/corals and glass/acrylic are too tight for anything else.

Craig

RockyHeap

Evil Genius
Instead of a credit card, or for the heavier build up of coraline, I use a standard home electrical wall socket cover, its great that its plastic and it even has the two holes in it for a firm grip.........much better than a flimsy credit card.

Kent Scrapers are useless IMHO.

Zack

Enjoy the reef!
Thanks all for the great ideas, need to try those out.

On another question, I was using my slider it must have had a piece of sand or something and it scratched my acrylic, any ideas on getting scratches out from the inside of the tank?

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
Hey Zack I have to agree with Craig the best scraper I have ever had was a peice of acrylic, comes off like butter.
On the scratches u can buy a kit from Rainbow Life guard that contains all the sanpapers you will need to get them out. Its about 20 bucks and I have used it many times.

mike

Zack

Enjoy the reef!
hey was looking around and did you mean something like this?
http://www.aquariumpros.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=ATsk

R

reef madness

Tip: If you get a peice of acrylic as a scraper, get it cut nicely from your supplier. It will have eight sharp edges for scraping. Like all scrapers they get rounded over time, but there isn't a commercial scraper with eight edges as sharp and stiff as acrylic. Just switch edges until they're gone, then buy another. Very inexpensive and effective.

I think the peice I use is about 3/16"- 1/4" thick.

Craig

MtnDewMan

I will have to give the piece of acrylic trick a try. I need a smaller piece though to fit in the small confines of the scraping areas :)

jazznreef

scrapers

theres also some gritty gel like stuff that Novus window repair sells. You can get it at the Novus shops or at Blue Sierra or some other hobby stores. Its only a few bucks and comes in a few different gritty flavors.

Just a though... If I go with the acrylic idea then my credit cards will be usable and we all know what that means when you're addicted to reef tanks!

Zack

Enjoy the reef!
Re: scrapers

jazznreef said:
Just a though... If I go with the acrylic idea then my credit cards will be usable and we all know what that means when you're addicted to reef tanks!
HAHAHAHAHA lol :D , becareful.............. :twisted: :D

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.