Quantcast

Coralline Algea Bleaching

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

SlowBoat

Has anyone ever have the coralline algae bleach white on them? It only seems to be the pinks that have gone bleach white, while the purples and darker reds have not changed.

I just recently started to add CalxMax to supplement the tank until I can get a calcium reactor running. Nothing else in the tank is showing any adverse reactions.

Any ideas?

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
usually orraline algae changes color due to an increase or decrease in the lighting. Also eventually the purple corraline will dominate the tank in the shaded areas and lighter versions will do well in well lighted areas. The additive should not play a role except to help it in its calcium and alk requirements

Mike

H20doctor

MMMM Tasty Children
My coraline will grow in size on the glass , and then over the next month or so it will fade out and bleach white. So its no big deal, just a part of reef nature. THe real problem is that it get soooooooo thick I have to chisel it off every 3 months with a scaper and it takes forever !!!!!!!!!! :shock:

SlowBoat

Thanks for the responses.

I pretty much thought it was nothing to worry about, but just had to check :) Must have been coincidental that it started when I started added the buffer/calcium.

Tank has been running for 8 months I have not added anything to the tank except Kalkwasser. I totally screwed up the alk. and calc. balance in my prior tank and spent more time and money trying to correct it. Just dont want to make the same mistake.

I am choosing to add the CalxMax because my PH is getting up to 8.4 and figured I should balance out the Kalk additions with something that will not raise PH.

abelltx

Same Problem

I added light to my system and Coralline started popping up everywhere, well now some of the spots are turning white. But what I dont understand is if the light created it, how can the light destroy it by making it white?

Adam

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.