Quantcast

Crush coral 2 sand

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

BCT182

Ok, so when I started this hobby about a year ago it, I started with a fish only tank, and I was told by a petco that I must have a crush coral substrate to maintain PH. I had never even seen a reef tank except for at the zoo, so I knew nothing about anything to do with reefing, or about how green algae gets into the holes of the coral bits and I knew nothing about sand sifting fish. I especially knew nothing about how much more beautiful the sand is. My tank was set up for 3 months, then I went from a 29 to a 50 gallon, and then I moved, so my tank is now set up, cycled and been that way close to five months at my new home. I have close to 60lbs of live rock and this is my possibly fatal question..... If I were to put all my water into big tubs to hold my corals, fish and live rock for the two hours or so, could I take out ALL my crushed coral and put sand in.... without having to RE-cycle my tank? Has anyone ever done this? I know my best filter is my live rock, but is it enough? Also, I dont have a refugium yet, but if I did, would it be more likely to maintain cycled? I wont ever do it if I will suffer any loses, but, is there any chance I can do it without a refugium? Thank you everyone for taking time to read this.
Brett

Illusion

What I would suggest for changing out the Sand bed is Removing half of it and adding in the sand.. Wait a week or 2 and then remove the other half and replace that sand as well... Therefor your only pulling out half the Sand bed at a time giving the other half time to repopulate with Fauna before removing the other half.. I did my tank this way when I switched over to a real fine Araganite.. worked great and looks better.. however in my next tank I am going with a Very shallow "thicker" type sand as I dont really like the Fine stuff.. Blows around too Easily..

HTH<
James

Katchupoy

Brett, good luck man with your endeavor. I agree with illusion. You still need to cycle because of the bacteria that lives in your crushed coral.

Do you really like sand? what about going barebottom? Anyway.

Suggestion. If you can find those media nets that you can buy. Then use those to put your old crushed corals. Do this as many as you can afford to buy for the nets. At least you can keep the crushed corals together with its bacteria and what have you while reloading the new sand. You can easily manipulate these crushed corals because they are in bags. Or even, you can use these as base rock because it acts as live rock now with so many porous pathways inside the net. Then you can remove them one at a time easily.

Or. If you have a spare tank. you can put in there all the crushed coral... then make sure that this tank will still be part of the circulation of the main tank. It will act as a filter for the time being at the same time place for bacteria to repopulate your new sand bed.

Where are you in covington? Maybe I can help you or something. Im in renton/fairwood by the ValleyMedical Hospital.

email me.

DonW

R.I.P.
Josh its just a five gallon bucket. I put a 1 inch ball valve in the bottom, cut a hole in the top to hold a felt sock. Syphon water in, goes through the sock and back to the sump.

Don

iamjosh

Take the bucket of new sand move it to a large container add water let it settle for a little bit then drain the cloudy water, repeat, mix up the sand, drain, then most of the really loose stuff (super tiny stuff in the sand) then you wont have such a huge problem with the sandstorm.. Also add the sand in a small container let water from your tank trickle in move it to the bottom of the tank let it sit for 10-15 min so the air gets out and slowly pour it on the bottom of the tank.

Unless ur doing this as a new setup.. then just add sand add water drain milky crap then re add RO/DI Water and let sit. If you Adding Live Rock add it before you do the sand that way it rest on the bottom of the tank not the sand..

Also lots of people put Eggcrate down on the bottom the tank .. that's a lot of info if you need more help drop a note.

-josh

snobanker

Josh, what is the eggcrate for?? I'd never heard that.
Don, awesome bucket system....I'm gonna use the idea when I go BB....

BCT182

OH I will need help. I will PM you this evening. Thanks everyone. Hey Cesar I may need your help too sir. thanks
Brett

iamjosh

I put Egg Crate on PVC pipes then set my Live Rock on that First i keeps the rocks from being right on the bottom, second if something drops or falls the impact is put over more of the bottom rather then a sharp point.

the egg crate allow worms and misc small things to still go all around the tank, but keeps things like sand sifting fish and burrowing fish from getting under your rocks and having them colapse on either the fish or having rocks fall in general.

I bought my eggcrate from Lowes in the lighting section it normally covers florescent lighting, use a dremel to cut it down to the sizes you need...

Hope that helps.. its wasn't more then $10 for eggcrate and $10 in PVC.

-j

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts