Quantcast

Cup coral placement

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

MzWeazelle

I have a small cup coral and am wondering about the best placement for it in my tank.

My tank is 140 gallons, about 30" deep, with two 250 watt MH lights that alternate with two actinics + two regular fluorescents (so we get some color other than purple when the MH bulbs are off!)

Right now it is in the sand at the bottom of the tank because that's the best place to keep it standing up, and seems to be doing fine. I'd say that the water flow is fairly low - when the polyps are out they sway gently.

Anybody think it should be moved higher or into greater water flow, or both?

I'm going to try to include a picture, but no promises - my first try. The MH were off at the time, but the coral shows pretty well.

MzWeazelle

MzWeazelle

Okay, the picture seems to have gotten lost. Someone want to tell me how to include a .jpeg file!

Thanks

MzWeazelle

MzWeazelle

Okay, browse, find, attach, submit ... here goes.

File size is 95K, which is close to the limit, but not over.

MzWeazelle

jmaxwell

I have a cup coral that I located on the side of my tank 6 inches off the bottom(24 inch deep tank). It isn't particularly bright there(250mh + 4VHO and the coral gets a slight breeze. It seems very happy and growing rapidly. Here is a photo for your reference.

Jim:p

Ray Pollett

Do you realize that Cup corals eat fish. And the larger they grow the bigger the fish that disapear from the tank. They can grow pretty quickly also.

Ray

MzWeazelle

I didn't know that it might eat fish. Right now it measures 2-3" across the top so I'm not too worried since just about everything I have is much bigger than it is. I'm curious though, what happens? Do the separate "mouths" gang up on a fish? I can't imagine how big the coral would have to get to be a danger to fish!

Ray Pollett

I appologize, I left out the word "some" in the post. They are the ones in the Amplexidicus sp. group. they are sold as cup corals, giant cup corals and Elephant ear corals.

They lay out as wide as possible. when a fish sits on it. it slowly closes around the fish and then digest the fish. I've seen them eat dottybacks and banggaii cardinals.

Ray

MzWeazelle

Had me worried there for a minute!

From the way mine grows I highly doubt it is one of that kind. It doesn't have the "bowl" or flat shape that most I've seen have, and the majority of the body is actually very rigid and wouldn't bend. The only soft, moveable parts are the polyps.

Thanks for the clarification - I can relax and just enjoy it again. :)

ggarner

the cup that i have is quite rigid is well... mine is ~8" across... and my clown goby likes to hang out in it...

i keep mine on the sand... from what i have heard they are related to sun corals however they are also partially photosynthetic... i will feed mine with mysis shrimp on ocassion and it will eat whatever other food fals into it... pretty cool coral.. but mine is growing very slow, and i heard they grow quite slow in the wild as well

MzWeazelle

I've had mine on the sand too because that was the best way to keep it upright, up until tonight.

I have a dragon gobie that sifts sand all over the place and it's been building up in the valleys between polyps. Tonight I noticed that the greenish covering was disappearing where ever the sand sat for long. Needless to say I snatched it up out of there right quick! Now I just have to find a way to keep it standing up somewhere else. :)

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.