Quantcast

Cyano Help please

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

forsaken541

Ok first tell me if I understand cyano at all. It feeds off of phosphates and silicates in the water right?
second I know that none of the food I am feeding has any phosphates but I am cond\cerned that the play sand I used for my ssb has silicates, I got it from Home depot and recently went back and looked at the bag and it states that it may contain silicate. Will the silicate ever go away?
Third I am just now getting an ro/di unit as I have been using tap so far. I have never had any other kind of diatom but the cyano and it is just driving me nuts!! Should I be removing my sand bed and replacing it with crushed coral or what?
By the way this is a 90 gal glass with a 30 gal sump and a aqua medic skimmer rated to 250gal tank. There are 3 ph's and a mag7 for the sump return. I just put some chaeto in the sump as well. I only have a sm. clown a sm. hippo tang and a med. coral beuty along with s few softies.
Please Help!!
Erik

DonW

R.I.P.
I think alot of your problems will go away with the rodi. Do some water changes with the rodi. If the skimmer you have is the Aquamedic T1000 its rated for 250 but really is good for about 55. What food are you using that doesnt have P??

Don

forsaken541

Do I need to worry about my sand bed though? Why is the aqua medic not up to its rating? It pulls alot of really dry nastines out of my water and has been nothing but easy to use. Good to hear about the ro/di I should have it in another week. I will plan on several 5-10 gal water changes over a week or so and see what happens. Also I read the back of the flake and pellet food that I am using allong with the meaty slurry that i rinsed really well and I don't see any mention of any phosphate materials so if they were present they shouldnt be from the food right?
Erik

DonW

R.I.P.
Erik,
I really dont know about the sand. P is present in probably any preserved foods such as flakes, and frozen. P is probably in your tap water as well.
The t1000 is a great little skimmer, in fact I just removed mine this past week-end, it worked non stop producing scunge. My new skimmer is three or four times the size and has been going non stop all week-end collecting all the scunge my t1000 could'nt get. I believe Tom had this same expeience after his recent tank upgrade.
As far as water changes go, probably just ten gallons once a week for a few weeks would be ok. Since you can never keep all P from going into your tank the idea is to the best you can. Watch what you feed (NO flake), use rodi water, rinse your seafood, lots of water movement and maybe use rowa if your still having problems.

Don

cheeks69

forsaken541 how big is your tank and how much total flow do you have ? When I switched to a new tank I got a bad cyano problem in the substrate but I added more flow and a couple of fighting conch and the cyano was gone almost overnight. I believe the increase in flow made all the difference. HTH

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts