Quantcast

death to Caulerpa!

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

aquariumdebacle

electrolyte addict
There was an excellent program on Nova Wednsday night. It delt with thw problems of the Taxifolia species in the Mediterranean Sea. They trayced the plague strain to the Stuggart Aquarium in Germany. It repeats Sunday morning at 3 am. For all of you who despise Caulerpa, it is a must see.

big t

tankless
I saw a doc several years ago that was about the same thing, from what I remember it traced the problem back to the big french aquarium Jacques Cousteau was the curator of way back when. They also documented a problem of a simular strain that was causing a big problem in California reefs, and the got rid of it by covering the areas and pumping in a load of chlorine!

Alice

I think that was at the Monterey Bay Aquarium?? I remember the hoorah about it.

aquariumdebacle

electrolyte addict
all of you that hate Caulerpa set your recorders for 3am on channel 9 PBS. For those of you still on the fence this might tip you over.

cookiemn

Chicago bound!!!
I saw the Nova program. It was excellent. They traced the caulerpa to an aquarium in Germany thru DNA testing. The German aquarium was looking for a plant to decorate their tanks. This caulerpa was the only one to survive in their tests. So they gave out the caulerpa to other aquariums and hobbyists. That is how it spread.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.