Quantcast

Deep sand bed

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

Beeba

I just started my tank about 4 months ago and I originally put in 1lb per gallon as instructed by the LFS. I actually put in 90 lbs in a 72 gallon system. Now I've read that I should have at least 4" or less than 1" of sand. I don't want a bare bottom tank so what would be best? Should I take out some to make less than one inch or should I add more sand to make 4 inches? If I take away is there something that I need to do to offset the benefit of the sand? Can I add more sand to an established tank without harming anything?

DonW

R.I.P.
My sand bed is half CC and sand. I decided I didnt like the sand part. Its about 1" deep, and bare under the rock work. Ive been slowly vacuuming out the sand as weekly maintenance. In another few months it should be perfect.
I'm not sure about adding more, could only assume that it would make a big mess.

Don

DonW

R.I.P.
Yes I'm just trying to get it down to just a little decorative stuff on the bottom. I guess 1/8 thick. I thought about BB but the better half did not like the idea.

Don

aquariumdebacle

electrolyte addict
Deep Sand Bed

Add sand to make at least four inches over most of the tank. Stay away from the calcifing corals epescially the small polyp stony corals. The filter feeders will especially benefit as they need a high nutrient environment to thrive.

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
Hey Dan and DOn and other dsb folks, if you get a momment could you post in the husbandry thread on dsb husbandry. How to set up what kind of critters and such so folks can refer to it. I think one of the iggest problems with DSB;s is the lack of proper set up and maintence.

thanks in advance

Mike

Scooterman

Administrator
Hey Beeba, DSB's have been of big discussions for a while now. If your going to keep one up or go to a thin bed, I'd like to see how you progress with yours either way. If you go all out DSB, then make sure to do some searches & reading up on them, you can get some great reads here, please keep us posted. I for one would like to see some Pics of what you have & pics as you progress, if you didn't know already, this is a forever thing in this hobby, typically tanks progress into some very awesome creations.

Beeba

Here is what I currently have. About 2" I would guess.

What would be the downfall of having only 2"? I've only been doing this for 4 months so I am learning from trial and error but from what I read that phase lasts a lifetime. :)

Scooterman

Administrator
Looks really nice, you have a skimmer? What other filtration equipment do you have or currently use? It is an ongoing learning adventure but that is what makes it so interesting. I think at this point before doing anything drastic, let’s take a look at how you’re running things now, how it is set-up & your chorus. From there maybe we can suggest improvements that will help you long term.

kevinpo

Expert
You can leave it the depth it is or add more. Either way will work just fine. I like the deep sand bed and have added them to established tanks without any adverse effects on corals or fish. I have a small plastic container that I fill with sand. It holds about 3-4 lbs of sand. I lower this slowly into the tank and set it on the bottom. Wait about 2 min until all the bubbles stop coming out the top then tip it over slowly and let the sand slide out. Repeat this 2-3 times. You will still get some cloudiness in the tank but nothing seems worse for the wear. In a few hours the tank will be clear again. You can repeat the process the next day and continue each day until you have the desired amount of sand in your tank.

HTH.
Kevin

fishermann

I've heard using a piece of pvc tubing that is above the water level and reaches to the bottom and you pour the sand down the tube and move it along the bottom distributing the sand, haven't done it myself but sounds feasable.

Beeba

When I started this I was uneducated so keep that in mind. The local LFS instructed me on the initial setup. I have a Pro 75 wet/dry a with built in skimmer. My testing is great except for a slightly raised phosphate level but I found out that the water dechlorinator I was using was causing that problem.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts