Quantcast

Detritus cleanup

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

BCT182

I was wondering what would be my best clean up critter for detritus in a bare bottom sps reef. I syphon out junk regularly but was wondering if there is a critter that I can add, that wont starve to death since I have not sand bed. Starfish? Snail? Cucumber? Any ideas would help. P.S. I hate crabs.

fishermann

I run a BB and have urchins, snails, crabs, they won't starve, remember they just crap 90% of what they eat back into the tank, so you still have to vac it out.

mattseattle

all mine died after i removed the sand bed. i had like 20 of them and now i can't find a single one. so i'd say they don't do well :)

as far as detritus removal - you have 2 options really. Vacuum it out or keep it suspend till your skimmer can remove it. Crap is crap and you may find things that utilize it but they are just going to have waste as well. So in the end you may be able to minimize it but not eliminate it.

fishermann

You well still have to vac about as much as now, if you want them to have them in your tank that is great but if your getting them to having to vac less,you won't even notice the difference in the long run.

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
Conches!!!!!!!!! I have a bunch of them in my tank and have for a long time. when it comes to eating Sh** they cant be beat.

Mike

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts