Quantcast

Diatoms vs Lighting

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

Krish

RF STAFF
It's me again...One quicky. From what I have read from the forum, as well as surfing the web, I understand that a few factors support diatoms and their survival and now I'm trying conduct the eliminating process one by one. My question is this...Will diatoms survive in an aquarium with very little light as well as an aquarium with sufficient lighting ( eg. in my case, 40 watts in a 90 gallon now as opposed to 260 watts in a 90 gallon hopefully tomorrow)? Also, should I rinse off as much of the diatoms settled on my rock (in aged tank water) as possible when adding my new power compact flourescence or should I just leave it all there and see if it dies off...This brown nuisance is driving me CRAZY!!!!! HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

wrightme43

It is my understanding that diatoms will grow as long as thier needs are met. I.E. LIGHT, FOOD, WATER, SILICONE. Remove one and they will die. You can not remove the water. You can limit food sources through water changes and good filtration. You can not remove the light and keep corals. You can remove the silacate from your water. I remember from your other posts that you are not using ro/di water. That will remove a large percentage of the silacate in your tank. Are you using a araganite based sand or a silicon based sand? Araganite will help you. Your diatoms are going to grow untill the silacate is gone. Then they will not be able to build a skeleton and they will disappear untill more silacate is added to the tank, through water changes if it is in the make up water. I have found if I use quality ro/di water I have no problems with diatoms. If I use tapwater in any form. I have a diatom bloom. Hope that helps you. Steve

wrightme43

I went back and read your other post again. If you are doing 3x 10 gallon changes a week using water treated with a softner and there is silicone in the water. You are going to have constant diatoms blooms. If I did that to my tank it would look like a brown blanket on everything. If I were you I would try this. Remove the algae by hand. Don't do but a 10 gal change every week. thats 10% of your tank volume. See if the diatoms use up the silicone faster than you put in there. Try and hook up with some Revese Osimosis/ deionized water. Preferably with a Total dissolved Solids reading of less than 1. You should be very happy with the result. HTH Steve

Krish

RF STAFF
Thanks Steve. I'll give it a try. I am using 50% araganite and 50% pure crushed corals from our beaches here in the Bahamas. It's really coarse. A friend of mine is using the same stuff fom the exact same place I got mine and he put it in a 350 gallon tank...It looks awesome. I'll let you guys know the end result.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts