DIY Auto Top Off System for 10 gal Nano Reef

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

Micro Reefer

I found the design for this on another site and it works very well.
I ordered a float switch from floatswitches.net for under $10 and it shipped the same day. If you decide to do one of these projects give them a try.

Here is a pic

Last edited by a moderator:

Micro Reefer

The float switch essentially interrupts power to the air pump. When the water level drops the float drops, completing the circuit and turning the air pump on. Air displaces water in the Zephur Hills water bottle (filled with RO) pushing it through a small hose into the tank.

Parts List:

1 cheap 6 ft extension cord
1 float switch
1 air pump - i started with a 1 outlet pump and went up to a 2 outlet with more air pressure
Heat shrink tube - i dont like wire nuts, so I soddered the wires.
1 resevior - needs to be air tight.
1" PVC with 2 end caps - no glue needed
air tubing
Something to mount the float to, i had suction cup bracket from a Maxi Jet pump laying around, so I used that. The thread where I found the plans listed a door hanger from Wal Mart modified with a dremel tool. I will post the link if it is allowed..

Tools:

Drill
soddering iron

A very fun project that will cost under $25 and worth every penny!

Last edited:

big t

tankless
You can feel free to post a link. That is not against policy here. The only problem w/ your float switch is that if the float ever fails it will put 110v directly into your tank. This can be said for a lot of equipment in the tank tho.

I just so happened to order a bunch of stuff to make a latched switch setup. I am going to have my topoff above my sump outside the house in a garbage can. It will gravity feed thru my kalk reactor, then to a float valve. There is a float switch in the bottom of the can and one at the top. With a relay you wire it all up, and you use a 12v power supply wired to the float switches, to trip the relay, and it switches a 110v power source to open a seloniod, or trip on a powerhead. Anyway what this does is when the water gets to the bottom of the can it trips the bottom float switch, opening a silenoid for the rodi. Once the can fills it stops, and waits till it gets to the bottom again. The benefit of this is that it lets the rodi run for longer then a minuite or two which is bad for ro membranes. There are ways of doing this w/ your type of top off too so that you will only have 12vdc at 500ma that could ever go into your water thru the float switch.

Micro Reefer

DonW

R.I.P.
Tom,
Half a mag float cleaner, two door jamb alarm sensors and a perferated tube works well for this. I install a sensor in the top and bottom (they come sealed water tight) of the tube, drop in the mag float half stand it up in the container. Connected to a controller you can use logic to control the functions. If you were to add a few more sensors you could easilly add temperature to the logic functions. Such as controlling a pump to keep your water from freezing in the winter or even controlling a dump valve if it gets to hot.
You can also go the simple way and have them turn on and off a sprinkler valve 12v to shut off water flow to your ro without the use of relays.

Don