Quantcast

DIY sump design for 29gal tank

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

Macbeth417

Reef Monkey
I have a 29gal acrylic Tank that I got from Rico (thanks again) that I am trying to use as a sump for my 110gal tank.

Here is a link to my design for a sump with variable flow refugium. Let me know what you all think. I need to figure out how tall the baffles should be.

My skimmer footprint is 10.5X11.5, the overflows are 1.5 standpipes and the return pump will be a Velocity T3 rated at 800GPH @ 3' of head pressure.

http://students.washington.edu/eanders/Macbeth%20sump%201.0.jpg

Thanks,

Erik

Doug1

The first thing that jumps out is with the skimmers footprint, where are you going to fit the skimmer pump?
As far as how high, i would go 16" on the refugium wall, maybe a notch to let water out, unless the refugium out flow is all going into the skimmer chamber. If you have a true refugium, ie a refuge for pods and other zooplankton, the pipe from fuge to the skimmer chamber seems self defeating. If you are going for mega algae growth and nutrient export I would set it up so that drains feed the algae, then the skimmer, with maybe a carbon bag before it hits the return pump

Macbeth417

Reef Monkey
Doug the footprint I gave includes the skimmer and its pump. It is a EuroReef 6-2+ (rated at 125gal ran by 500gph Sedra)

"If you have a true refugium, ie a refuge for pods and other zooplankton, the pipe from fuge to the skimmer chamber seems self defeating."-Doug1

How so? I am having it return right before baffles in order to eliminate microbubbles. Are you suggesting that some on the pods will be sucked into the skimmer and thus not exported back into the main tank as easily? I would love to see a drawing of what you would suggest I do.

big t

tankless
looks pretty cool to me! I think that if you put the ref return into the last chamber instead of the skimmer chamber that you won't get a lot of mb's, you could try both and find out, other than that looks good, you got the 3-d paint skills down pat!

Macbeth417

Reef Monkey
After reading over what Doug said and what said Pat, I think I may just have the refugium flow back down into the return chamber as most of the microbubbles will come from the skimmer side. Then I will also move the baffles farther apart. Lets say 2" ... Take the skimmer section down to 12" the return to 7" and the refuge/macro section to 6".
I'll post new drawing in a few minutes here.

-Erik

Macbeth417

Reef Monkey
As promised here is updated design:

http://students.washington.edu/eanders/Macbeth%20sump%201.1.jpg

Sound good? I would like to build it tomorrow if it looks okay.

-Erik

Doug1

Eric the baffles needn't be wide apart, taller is more important, its the up over the first and down under the second that gives dwell time that allows bubbles to rise and dissapate.
Forgive my drawing, obviously I dont do well at paint;)
Well H### BMP ext isn't allowed :(

Macbeth417

Reef Monkey
Here's my latest design Doug taking into account the correct baffle patern:

http://students.washington.edu/eanders/Macbeth%20sump%201.2.jpg

Should I shrink the baffles width back down to 1" and raise the skimmer section to 10" by raising the middle baffle up? How much space sould there be under the middle baffle?

Sorry about all the questions and thanks for all the help,

-Erik

Doug1

OK 2" between will make siliconing them in place easier, you realize that you water level in the drain side is dependent on the height of the last wier wall, so the water depth in the skimmer area will be 8" deep, is that going to be enough to cover the skimmer pump intake without sucking air?
What pump are you using for your return, and what kind of throughput rate are you going to have( return pump output, minus head pressure and fitting friction loss, as well as amount diverted through refugium) If its more than the amount of water that the skimmer will actually process then a percentage of water will be untreated. Depending on the type of skimmer you have it wont put out the rated amount of the pump. I.E. I have an Amiracle thats driven by a Hagen 802 at 400 gph, its prolly half that comong out of the skimmer, the venturi slows it way down, HTH

Macbeth417

Reef Monkey
DOUG1:

-"you realize that you water level in the drain side is dependent on the height of the last wier wall, so the water depth in the skimmer area will be 8" deep, is that going to be enough to cover the skimmer pump intake without sucking air?"

The recomended optimal height (EuroReef manual) for my skimmer is 6 to 8" of water, I am going on the heigh end so the pump will be fine as far submersion goes.

-"What pump are you using for your return, and what kind of throughput rate are you going to have...?"

Return pump will be a Velocity T3 rated at 800GPH @ 3' of head pressure running a split return with scwd.

Diagram of my plumbing:
http://students.washington.edu/eanders/Tank%20plumb%20design2.0.jpg

Skimmer pump is Sedra5000 rated at 500gph. I realize the T3 out moves the skimmer pump by a almost half, but I think 750-800gph is reasonable total sump flow as a quater or so of the water will be passing through the refugium. So about 600gph would pass through skimmer section and 200gph through the refuge.

Does this sound okay?

-Erik

Have to go meet Reefan in Kent with some salt. I'll check back in from there as I am bringing the tank down to Kent with me and would like to build sump while visiting my father's tool laden garage.

Macbeth417

Reef Monkey
Here is final design, thanks to everyone for your help:
http://students.washington.edu/eanders/Macbeth%20sump%201.3.jpg

One quick question, anyone know what size most probe holder holes are?

-Erik

Elmo18

Clownfish
Hehe Erik. Looks good. Should be a good setup with the awesome work and effort.

I'm jsut around the corner at U-District. You can get some of my live sand when you get the tank filled and all.

Elmo

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts