• Yes

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • No

Votes: 11 78.6%

• Total voters

Ed Hahn

Life is A Highway...
Don,
I was taught a little trick . Its a cheap way to test for organics. It includes a piece of white plastic or clear plastic and yellow marker and a small vial. Have you heard of it? You make a yellow line on the white plastic or clear plastic. You put the plastic up to your tank. Then you fill the vial up with water from tank and compare the water to your yellow line on the plastic. Its cheap and seems to work for me.

I think its nice to check your skimmer every now and then..Yes I do test for organics.

DonW

R.I.P.
Thanks Ed, I was thinking a bit more accurate like the salifert test kit. I dont think my water gets yellow enough to see with my eyes. Ozone and carbon alike take the color out but dont remove all the organics.
I guess its popular in europe.

Don

Ed Hahn

Life is A Highway...
Why do I feel like I am in a one legged Ass Kicking contest?...lmao...One of these days Don I hope to have a beer and smile with you.

DonW

R.I.P.
:razz: I was just reading a thread on RC where in the tank specs said "organics 0". Just got me wondering if its a useful test or not. But by the looks of the tank, I'd say it would'nt hurt.

Don

Ed Hahn

Life is A Highway...
I feel that the combination of organics and phosphates are highly toxic for animals. I think its strange that majority of people do not check them. If I can see organics with test listed above I will get a polyfilter, and check why my skimmer is not working properly. I want to learn more about Ozone. I heard about Randy Holmes article on Reef Central. I just feel there are too many ifs and not enought positives yet for me to try Ozone. I do not want to be a bad cook and fry everything. I got a cold sodie for ya Don or even a Cold Brew for you when I see ya. You have taught me things and I want to learn more Buddy!

DonW

R.I.P.
Ed,
I understand where your comming from as far as the ozone. I've heard all the stories but have never actually seen anyone screw it up. Mine runs for about 15 minutes every morning 20 minutes after feeding and has done so for a long time. I dont run it through carbon and I no longer have carbon on my skimmer vent. My ozone test always come up undetectable. In fact I use a $39 300mgl unit not made for a aquarium but I do use a well maintained orp controller.
I sure would like to find out if the organics test are worth the time and money. Would probably tell alot about the system efficency.

Don

Curtswearing

Mantisfreak
DonW said:
I dont run it through carbon and I no longer have carbon on my skimmer vent. My ozone test always come up undetectable.
Don,

Please put carbon on your skimmer vent. There are numerous lawsuits against air cleaner manufacturers that use ozone as the filtration method. This stuff is bad for you.

Here is what the EPA says
The same chemical properties that allow high concentrations of ozone to react with organic material outside the body give it the ability to react with similar organic material that makes up the body, and potentially cause harmful health consequences. When inhaled, ozone can damage the lungs (see - "Ozone and Your Health" - www.epa.gov/airnow/brochure.html). Relatively low amounts can cause chest pain, coughing, shortness of breath, and, throat irritation. Ozone may also worsen chronic respiratory diseases such as asthma and compromise the ability of the body to fight respiratory infections. People vary widely in their susceptibility to ozone. Healthy people, as well as those with respiratory difficulty, can experience breathing problems when exposed to ozone. Exercise during exposure to ozone causes a greater amount of ozone to be inhaled, and increases the risk of harmful respiratory effects. Recovery from the harmful effects can occur following short-term exposure to low levels of ozone, but health effects may become more damaging and recovery less certain at higher levels or from longer exposures (US EPA, 1996a, 1996b).
Ozone Generators that are Sold as Air Cleaners: An Assessment of Effectiveness and Health Consequences

They indicate that it doesn't have to be harmful in small doses. However, they indicate that longer exposure of small doses can be harmful. Just because you aren't feeling any effects doesn't mean damage isn't being done.

The reason that your ozone test is undetectable is because it is in your air instead of in your tank.

Last edited:

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
I have an organics test kit from salifert and have done the odd test on the tank, I use it more for testing my ro/di water. I dont now how effective it would be to use as a constant test in a reef tank. An ammount of organics in a tank are needed, and with the test it doesnt break them down to tell you what you got.

Mike

DonW

R.I.P.
Curtswearing said:
Don,

Please put carbon on your skimmer vent. There are numerous lawsuits against air cleaner manufacturers that use ozone as the filtration method. This stuff is bad for you.
[/is in your air QUOTE]

I have a bathroom style vent fan in my stand that vents outside it runs on a timer and the orp controller. Besides the oxone my skimmer is foul.

Thanks
Don

DonW

R.I.P.
mojoreef said:
I have an organics test kit from salifert and have done the odd test on the tank, I use it more for testing my ro/di water. I dont now how effective it would be to use as a constant test in a reef tank. An ammount of organics in a tank are needed, and with the test it doesnt break them down to tell you what you got.

Mike
Mike,
From what I understand they have a new one out that will tell you the concentration in ppm. Is this what you have? I guess your right, sure would be nice to know what they are made of.

Don

MzWeazelle

Hmm ... by the vote it looks like I'm in the majority. lol

So many things to test for - so little time (and $$).

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts