Quantcast

drilling advice?

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

toast

hello folks,

i plan to drill a hole for a 3/4 or 1 inch bulkhead in a 55 gal glass aquarium. has anyone advice for me? i have come across two techniques: a dremmel scribe method and using a diamond "tube" drill bit. i have a drill and a dremmel tool, so if someone has bits i could borrow or recomendations about which approach to use - or who to ask - i would appreciate it!

thanks!

tom

aquariumdebacle

electrolyte addict
drilling

I would recommend the diamond tip. Use mineral oil as a lubricant and use a slow speed. The dremel is not sturdy enough and you may burn it up. The best way would inlove a jig or drill press to put constant pressure on it. A glass shop may do it for you without a warranty. If you end up replacing the paine they will do for sure.

Gordo

I've drilled a couple of holes with a diamond coated hole saw without incident. I drilled a hole in a piece of 2X6 with a regular wood hole saw to use as a guide. I have a hole saw for a 1 1/2" bulkhead. If you want to go that big you can use it. If you want to get a hole saw for a 3/4" or 1" call 1-888-522-6566 during business hours (Los Angeles) and ask for Ben. I'm not sure what the company name is. I think it's a glass shop in L.A. I bought my hole saw from him for $38 shipped. Here are some pictures of a drill I did.

http://www.thecarlislefamily.com/reef/drilling/drilling.html

~Gordo~

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.