Dual 250 HQI + Dual T-5 too much for a 65gal Acrylic?

Dana

Long time browser, first time poster.

I have a 65 gallon acrylic FOWLR that I am setting up but want to get a lighting system that will be able to support some anenomes and maybe some SPS or LPS...not sure yet, but don't want to upgrade in 5 months if you know what I mean. What an addicting hobby!!!

Is this overkill for my tank? Are dual 250 MH HQI too much for this size tank? It is only 18" high, so water depth would not be an issue. The only reason I ask is that the 250's are cheaper on custom aquatics than the 150's, so it would actually be initially cheaper to purchase. I think I would have a 10 watt per gallon ratio. Too much for fish?

I am looking at the Maristar 48" Dual 250 -or- 150 with dual 48" T-5 fixture.

250? 150? (Will I be successful and happy with the 150's?)

Finally, what (2) T-5 bulbs would you use? Actinic? 10,000K? Other combos?

Thanks!

Dana

Krish

RF STAFF
Welcome to RF Dana! What are you planning on cooking in that 65?(LOL) Just kidding. I have no idea if those lights are too much. I just wanted to welcome you to the forum. Glad you are here...

wrightme43

There is not a huge diffenence in heat produced as far as I know. I do know there is no way we are going to produce anywhere near as much light as the reef gets at noon on a sunny day. I think it would work. I have 2 250s on my 75 and I wouldnt mind if it were brighter. LOL

Dana

Thank you both for the SPEEDY replies.

I guess I wasn't entirely worried about the heat factor water wise, but wasn't sure MH's and acrylic tanks were a good team. I think I read it has to be around 30cm above the water level anyways. Can livestock have too much light? (I know it's silly but I had to ask!)

Dana

wrightme43

As long as they are acclimated I think anything less than a 1000watt bulbs is not going to be to much. Just my opinion though, and I am sorta insane. LOL

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
One way to approach it Dana is that you can always raie the lights a bit if they are to much. Just raising the MH's up 3 inches will reduce the light energy they put in by 30%

Mike

NaH2O

Mike posted what I was going to say......so....now I'll just Welcome you to Reef Frontiers!!!

shallowreef

Whats the Kalvin rating on your MH (6,500K, 10K, 14K, 20K)? Also i agree with raising the lights. Does anyone know how to post a new subject i can't figure it out. I must be semi-retarded or something!

Latest posts