Quantcast

effects of bubbling air through Calcium Reactor effluent

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

mattseattle

Are there any downfalls of bubbling air through effluent to raise the pH of it before it returns to the tank?

Since adding the calcium reactor to my tank I've noticed an increase in hair algae and I'm pretty positive it's due to the add CO2 that's being added to my tank. Nothing else has changed in the past 2 years and I've never had hair algae grow on my return outlet and powerheads like it's done the past month. Someone told me to get a drip cup or an old vase like I'm using and bubble air through it. It's raising the pH of my effluent from 6.5 to about 7.6 or so. I figure that way it's bubbling some of the CO2 out before it returns to my sump.

So like my question says does this deplenish the effects of the effluent in alkalinity and calcium or anything?

or is there another way to achieve the same effect? should i just place the effluent tube in the intake on my skimmer pump? i guess it would do the same thing.

mattseattle

ok, i was worried that it may deplete the effectiveness of the alkalinity or something. so the effluent should be just as strong but without the CO2. If that's the case then all is good.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts