Quantcast

Eggcrate or not?

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

idgy

I am reading Simplified Reef Keeping and as simple as the book is to understand I am still confused.

Question 1:

Now can I have a reef tank with live rock, 4 or 5 fish,some invertebrates and a few polyps and feather dusters? Or will this kind of setup not thrive? Of course I would pick reef safe fish.

Question 2:

Is is advisable to use eggcrate and a spraybar with this kind of setup? If it is not advisable to use eggcrate how does one clean the debris from under and behind and between the live rock with out disturbing the rock and the life on it and around it?

Thank you for any help!

bradreef

always kidding
If you want space under the rock you can use some pvc and egg crate and make stands to put the rock on. just like they have at fish stores. I wouldn't put egg crate on the glass bottom though because it will trap detritus. 4-5 fish you will need a 55 gallon and up. When setting up a tank it starts as wanting only a few things and then you end up replacing equipment for the new things you want. don't go cheap on a skimmer and lighting should be well thought out. Take it Slowwwwwwwwwwwww

bradreef

always kidding
now to answer you questions.
1. sounds great. live rock and a good skimmer are the start to success.

2. One thing that I keep finding out is the importance of water flow. When you get a specific tank size we should be able to help you with the flow. I have my rock stacked so there is a lot of space under it. and I added a spraybar the last time I moved it so nothing would get stuck under it. I still use a turkey baster to get a couple of dead spots when needed.

idgy

Thanks for the info! I have a 60 gallon tank and I am putting a life reef sump and skimmer with it.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts