Encapsulate Aiptasia

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

reefer

I've tried squirting pure calcium into it. I've taken the rock out of the tank and scrubbed the area of where it is attached to the rock with a tooth brush and it keeps coming back. I'm thinking of encapsulating it on the rock with two part epoxy.

Can I use two part epoxy under water or do I have to remove the rock to do it?

Those aiptasia are so hardy I don't know what else to do. After studying ways to get rid of them, it seems everyone has a different idea of how to do it but none seem to bee 100 percent. Thats when I thought of encapsulation.

northstaraquatics

The Lone Reefer
It's been done before and works as long as the rock isn't so porous that the aiptasia come back out somewhere else on the rock. Second, if there are too many on a rock, it will look odd for a while with grey blotches all over

Jon

wanareef

reefer addict
"pure calicum" - I take it you mean Kalkwasser? I use kalk with a little vinagar and just shoot it straight on into the aptasia and it does the trick - for me. But it has to be dead-head on. Some have tried "joe's juice" and say that it's great, but you have to watch out for the "drift"

Anyone try super glue?? :rolleyes:

Crows Ridge

Hi Reefer,

I put in 10 peppermint shrimp because a hitchiker Apistasia turned into a whole mess of them. After about 10 days, there is not one left.

Now! If only there were something to eat Majano's:(

Good luck!

Chris

reefer

Ok, I pulled the rock out of the tank. Smeered 5 minute Epoxy real thick over the spot that it was attached. One hour later guess what he broke through the epoxy that was now very rubbery. I thought that I'd smear the real rubbery stuff over him and when I did he detached and started to float away. I managed to catch him before he dissapeared into the rock pile. It looks like he is whole. He's now attached in a cup that I filled with salt water. Those guys are tough. To bad other anemonies aren't that tough or my ritteri might still be alive.