Quantcast

Enjoying my Ice storm

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

wrightme43

Hi everybody, We are having a very nice ice storm here in south western KY. It has been icing since 5 and its now almost midnight. Power is off all around me but still on here. WOO HOO. Knocking on wood and biting my tounge. LOL The trees in my yard, normally the limbs are over the roof and now out back they about 2 feet from the ground. I dont have a generator though right now I am wishing I did. LOL. I have batt. powered airpumps but no alternate heat source. Oh well. such is life. LOL. Hope you all are having better weather. Thought I would post a pic.
Danny up near Mammoth Cave is without power and his fish already have ick and are in quarentine. Not looking good for the home team. He has gas heat and just called so I told him to crank it up to about 75 in the house to keep his fish and coral warm and since he has no backup circulation to stir the water with a wood spoon every half hour or more if he can.
Any other ideas, his cell still works. I can call him if any body has any good advice.
Thanks Steve
P.S. this is all ice, no snow as of yet.

NaH2O

Hang in there Steve - we are blizzarding right now & supposed to continue through tomorrow a.m. There are a few threads on here about power outages, if you haven't searched for them yet. Another idea instead of stirring with a wooden spoon - is to scoop the water out with a container and pour it back in. Hopefully, the power will be back on in no time. For a heat source (I just thought of this - might be something people have tried?), if you have hot water still, you can fill a water tight container with HOT water and put it in the tank....maybe the heat would dissapate enough to help hold temp. Similar to when people float water bottles of ice to cool tanks, except this is reverse. Also, if you can start to make water for water changes, I would do that, too. So, when the power comes back on, depending on how long it was out and the condition of the tank, you can do a WC asap.

WaterDogs

The snow looks nice the first few days :) For power outages I did buy a generator this year because of the large investment in my reef tank, it's a Honda very quiet just run an extension cord to the tank and away I go but that's assuming someone is home to start it up. My wallet is $800.00 dollars less after the purchase!

wrightme43

I wish I was smart enough to buy a generator. LOL Thanks Nikki those are good Ideas. I am calling danny, to tell him about pouring in instead. That sounds like it will work better. I was going to do a water change tommorow so I have water made and warm. So I am good there. I will go and fill the caraffee (how in the heck the spell that) with hot water and hope I dont need. LOL. Blizzards suck. The last time bowling green had a ice storm I was in Bergen Norway, and it was on the stinking news there. It blew my mind. I was very drunk and there is my home town on the tv in the bar. LOL. Were usually lucky here, but when we get hit, we really get it. LOL. Thanks for the suggestions, and rub it in Dwaine. LOL Hope you all have a good night. Steve

Alice

Sending good wishes to all of you with weather worries.

Once our power went out while I was at work. I told my husband to keep the tank aerated so every hour he used an old-fashioned egg beater to "fluff" the water. :lol:

CarlaW

Scarlet Begonias
Hope all works out for you! When I lived in Illinois, we had to put up with those, they are definitly worse than just your average snowstorm. Here's to keeping your power on!!! If nothing else, the GMAC bowl should keep your hearts warm!!

Nikki, is it still snowing?

NaH2O

The snow stopped sometime last night. There is about 12" or more out there, no power issues (Indy is *knock on wood* pretty good about power outages). I'll try and post a picture in a little bit.

CarlaW

Scarlet Begonias
I bet you have your hands full, we are still waiting for snow here. It would be nice to have a couple inches at least for Christmas!! Wierd year!!! I bet your little girl is gonna have a blast tho :D

Angelscrx

Import Fish
No Snow Here

No snow in this part of Washington State but it is 41 degrees outside. If I lived up north I definitely would buy a generator just in case. Best opf luck top you guys and stay warm.

WaterDogs

I bought a generator because my doctor said worrying about the power going out and prescribing Valium didn't sound necessary. :D So I have no Valium; bought generator, worries stopped. Too bad insurance didn't cover the generator :( :D

wrightme43

Man you just need a new doc. LOL Ours (power) stayed on all night and all is well. Just solid ice everywhere. I let my car run for 2 hours and it is still solid. LOL They goat is in the goat house with the chickens. The cats are all curled up warm. I am just going to stay in and drink coffee. LOL. Hope every body has a great Christmas. Steve
Danny got a generator and only lost one fish, a damsel that jumped out.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts